The Electrical Hardware IRT (Issue Resolution Team) is responsible for managing and driving resolution of all engineering build-related issues for the electrical hardware components on new vehicle launches. The IRT serves as the "Boots on the Ground" and represents the Electrical SMT organizations at both the pre-production build site and vehicle assembly plant to ensure all issues are understood with containment/action plans in place. This job also provides a unique opportunity to experience many vehicle systems, as well as the manufacturing and vehicle launch process. In addition, you will work in close collaboration with our Electrical VSE and Quality Engineering counterparts as well as Program Teams and the Plant Launch Team and report out to Leadership on a regular basis.
- This position requires extensive travel (50% or more)
- Assume leadership responsibility for all electrical build related issues (including wiring, module hardware, switches, batteries, brackets, etc.)
- Track Electrical PRTS issues and ensure that owners provide timely and effective closure
- Lead IRT meeting forums to review issues and timing with the DREs
- Support the QE in completing the PRTS 4-Diamonds as well as reject or approve Electrical PRTS issues at Launch stage.
- Provide proper preliminary root cause analysis to ensure appropriate assignment of PRTS issues
- Identify error-proofing and ergonomic improvement opportunities and recommend potential solutions
- Coordinate Solution Demonstrations, Engineering Try-Outs (ETO) and Plant Trial Runs (PTR)
- Provide and implement containment plans as required. Track and monitor breakpoints of containment and corrective action.
- Present top issues reviews and report out to plant and program leadership (Easel Boards, VIRT, Launch Quality Wall Review)
- Collaborate with multi-functional teams including the Electrical VSE, QE, Program Team, Plant Launch Team, CME, DREs, Ergonomics, and cross-SMT counterparts.
- Bachelor of Science – Engineering (required)
- High level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- Ability to legally operate a motor vehicle daily
- Travel to support plant builds is required. Flexibility for out of state plants is desired.
- In early development phase - work is typically at local pre-production facility.
- 50 to 100% travel required or temporary relocation required based on plant location when plant builds start during launch phase.
- Understanding of engineering theory, design, and vehicle systems
- Strong interpersonal skills involving ability to work effectively cross-functionally
- Ability in integration and system understanding
- Understanding of manufacturing processes
- Understanding of Specification and Release terms and systems (GVDP, ECR, ECR, TCR, PTR, PRTS)
- Demonstrated ability of “dealing with ambiguity” and finding solutions to complex problems to enable timely decision making
- Be comfortable leading Product Engineers who are “matrix” to the program, not direct reports
Preferred Education and Training:
- DFSS – Black Belt
- Master of Science – Engineering or Master of Business Administration
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.