This is a hybrid role and does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role requires them to work on-site in the Warren, MI location 1-3 days per week.
The SDV team supports the definition, design, and development of continuously improving mobility services. SDV is new vehicle intelligence platform that will underpin all our future innovations across a wide range of technological advancements, including EVs and expanded automated driving. This means that you can potentially put a fingerprint on the vehicles that drive down the road! This space is ripe with technical leadership opportunities for sophisticated technology development, as well as the ability to provide mentorship for new employees. You can flex your collaboration muscles as you will be tasked with working with several other areas of engineering, IT, and the business.
The Engineering Group Manager will be responsible for the localization software strategy, guiding localization software engineer team, and ensuring that work results in high quality engineering design along with fast, reliable, testable production code in line with expectations of our vehicle program teams (e.g., UltraCruise) at GM.
- Lead and manage strategic direction and the development and execution of groundbreaking localization software technologies
- Lead a development and execution team focused on new technology development for localization solutions for ADAS and AV programs.
- Occasionally travel internationally to lead all aspects of global teams
- Develop resource plans, team structures, risk management and execution strategies to convert strategic direction into concrete tactical plans
- Lead the growth and organization of the localization software engineers
- Drive development and execution of AV/ADAS localization software from proof-of-concept (algorithm) to production (embedded software target platform implementation) through software design decisions/code review
Required Skills and Experiences:
- Related Bachelor of Science in Engineering (Software, Electrical, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, etc.)
- Minimum 8+ years of engineering experience related to embedded control system, calibration, related hardware, and/or safety critical system development
- Demonstrated results in successful project execution
- Excellent multi-functional communication and leadership skills - able to get multiple teams moving in the same direction
- Demonstrated ability to deal with ambiguity while driving timely decision making
- 2+ years of leading an engineering team
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master of Science in Engineering and/or Master of Business Administration
- Previous (2+ years) experience as a software engineer in AV/ADAS software environments
- Development experience in computer vision, machine learning, mapping and localization technologies, constrained optimization, graph theory, neural networks and deep learning
- Proven track record of production software for mission-critical or complex software products
- Prior experience managing, leading, and growing AV/ADAS software engineering organization
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES: This role is posted at the 8th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.