**Please only apply if you are a member of WOC STEM (Women of Color STEM)**
**The start date for these Entry Level roles are for the 2022 Spring/Summer timeframe**
We are looking for individuals who are innovative and creative problem solvers who get things done!
Our General Motors recruitment team is proud to attend the 2021 Women of Color STEM Virtual Career Fair. GM IT is an authority in groundbreaking technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, high-demand Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, Real-time Computing and Cloud Computing. We offer exciting positions for hardworking professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on Innovation, Speed, and Business Value. We are excited to engage future innovators from the WOC STEM conference to help us continue to drive technology forward.
We are seeking Information Technology students graduating between December 2020 – June 2022, who:
- Have a steadfast drive for excellence
- Challenge themselves and their peers
- Enjoy working collaboratively in a cross-functional teams
- Demonstrate a good work ethic
- Have a strong ability and willingness to learn
- Excel in a variety of job assignments
- Understand fundamental physics and math concepts, and can apply them to real applications
- Desire to deliver innovative solutions to sophisticated problems
We have the following positions available to start your career with GM as early as January 2022:
- Software Developer
- Software Developer in Test
- BI/Data Analyst
- AI/ML Scientist / Data scientist
- Operations Analyst
- Information Security Specialist
The Software Developer is responsible for developing solutions that drive innovation and competitive advantage. The roles encompass writing code to build and support GM’s systems, applications, and platforms as well as configuring, optimizing, and deploying packaged software (COTS). The Software Developer will work with other project developers and architects to ensure that designs and quality are meeting GM requirements. Each Developer is envisioned to be part of the full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) of a project: from initiation through deployment.
The Software Developer in Test will collaborate with other project members such as testers, product owners, business analysts and developers to ensure that designs and quality are meeting GM requirements. Each SDIT is envisioned to be part of the full SDLC of a project: from initiation through deployment and assumes the critical quality role in the software development process. Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Requirements Review: Ability to work with the team to review, analyze, and provide feedback on the requirement to ensure accuracy and eliminate ambiguity
- Test Case Management: Where required; from test creation to execution and closure, adhere to established process & procedures to develop end to end test cases for positive, negative and edge case testing
- Functional Coding Principles and Basic Programming: Demonstrate basic programming skills and have an introductory knowledge of coding principles (object oriented, software design patterns, etc.)
- Automation Testing: Ability to follow code practices and recommended guidelines to write, review, and approve automated scripts. It is expected that scripting across multiple platforms is delivered over time (API, UI, and Native Mobile)
The BI/Data Analyst will analyze the existing data landscape at GM IT and work with the larger team in balancing, improving and crafting streamlined data models and data integration strategies. They will also play an integral role in creating the next generation platform for Business Intelligence at GM.
The AI/ML Scientist / Data Scientist will participate throughout the development cycle of projects, helping identify requirements, developing, testing, validating and deploying analytical solutions, including visualizations, predictive models, and algorithms.
The IT Operations Analyst is a dynamic role that includes specific responsibilities such as incident management and response, monitoring and continuity planning and problem resolution with root-cause analysis.
The Information Security Specialist applies proven information security principles and standard methodologies to their specific subject area, regardless of the specialization. This includes the understanding of the application of security concepts including risk management, compliance, threat and vulnerability assessments, information protection and access control, security processes, policy and standards. These skills are applied across a broad variety of areas including operational security, application design and development, technology evaluation and acquisition.
By applying to this position, you will be considered for all the roles listed above.
If selected for consideration, during your initial phone screen, we will ask your position preference and do our best to ensure that you are considered for your first choice. If selected for an interview, we will advise you of the specific role in advance.
A Coding Challenge may be required during the application process, however, not all positions will require you to code.
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
- Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite two times per week, generally on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or STEM degree preferred
- Bachelor’s or Master’s graduation date must be between December 2020 and September 2022
- Ability to relocate to one of our IT Innovation Centers: Roswell, Georgia; Austin, Texas; Detroit, Michigan; Warren, Michigan or Chandler, Arizona
- These roles may require you to work second or third shifts or be ready on call if needed
- Experience with programming in Java, .NET or other languages
- Knowledge of XML and relational databases (Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL)
- Familiarity with packaged software (e.g., SAP, Workday, SharePoint, etc.)
- Knowledge of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) as well as software development methodologies (e.g. Agile, Scrum, Iterative, Waterfall, etc.)
- Understanding of security, efficient code reuse, and software design
- Proficiency in computer programming, administration and/or scripting
- Knowledge of security architectures, tools and technologies
- Experience with designing secure applications and data protection
- Familiarity with security forensics, vulnerability assessment and policy implementation
- Excellent collaboration and teamwork – ability to work cross functionally
- Knowledge of infrastructure and IT trends such as Cloud Computing
- Familiarity with Dev Ops and Site Reliability Engineering Principles and Networking
Relocation assistance is available to candidates who meet eligibility requirements.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.