To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we are building a team of people who are passionate about creating safer, better, and more sustainable solutions. This bold vision won't happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the transportation in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Vision as a Service (VaaS) is an organization within GM IT, building innovative solutions supporting global manufacturing, leveraging current and emerging technologies. One of our initiatives is to protect workers from repetitive, mundane, and dangerous tasks.
Are you a robot engineer with passion for designing prototypes, building and testing robot cells, who envisions using your ideas, electrical/mechanical knowledge to build advanced technological real-time software applications?
If you want a place that challenges you to bring your curiosity, enthusiasm, desire to learn, grow, and succeed every day, to build automotive solutions that are the benchmark for other automotive companies and suppliers, then this is the place for you.
We are looking for Robotics Engineering students graduating between January 2021 – June 2022 who:
- Have a steadfast drive for excellence
- Challenge themselves and their peers
- Enjoy working collaboratively in a cross-functional teams
- Demonstrate a good work ethic
- Have a strong ability and willingness to learn
- Excel in robot engineering
- Understand physics, mechanical, electrical and math (linear algebra) concepts, and can apply them to real applications
- Desire to deliver innovative solutions to complex problems
The Robotics Engineer is responsible for supporting and reinforcing the adoption of Robotics Software Engineering across the MFG IT organization with the goal of establishing significant improvements in the Manufacturing space relative to manufacturing productivity/efficiency.
The Robotics Engineer will drive the identification, evaluation, and adoption of rapid iterative and incremental robotics software solutions together with Principal and Senior Robotics Software Engineers and our Manufacturing Engineering business partners. The ideal candidate can embrace, execute and apply Transformative Robotic Technologies, Simulation, ML/DL, Computer Vision and the delivery of turn-key solutions.
This role offers the following Work Appropriately strategies:
- Onsite: This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
- Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite two times per week, generally on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Robotics Engineering or related field (Master’s degree preferred)
- Graduate between January 2021 and June 2022
- Knowledge and experience with linear algebra, computer vision, software development
Specific areas of responsibilities include:
- Definition and adoption of GM MFG IT Robotics capabilities
- Identify opportunities to update and/or streamline the current GM Robotics Engineering processes together with Manufacturing Engineering SMEs
- Define and develop ML/DL solutions in real-world environments
- Computer Vision solutions in real-world environments
- Ability to digest, design and deploy solutions based on research artifacts
- Data Visualization
- Designing solutions at scale (minimize operational overhead)
- End to end understanding of systems and interfaces, so solutions can be built to fit within constraints
- ML/DL, Computer Vision, Data Mining, Visualization and Simulation
- Experience in Cloud Technologies such as Docker, K8, and more generically on HPC platforms
- Experience with Linux, bash scripts
- Experience with ROS
- Knowledge in C, C++, Java/C#, Python, R, Go, SQL, OpenGL, TF
- Experience with PyTorch, TensorFlow, or Keras
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to think outside the box
- ROS (Robot Operating System) and MoveIt
Relocation assistance is available to candidates who meet eligibility requirements.
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES NOW OR IN THE FUTURE. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.