In our pursuit to create a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, GM’s global manufacturing engineering team is challenging the limits on what is possible and embracing agility as it reimagines how to build the next generation of vehicles. Our diverse team of manufacturing engineers play a crucial role in transforming our facilities through implementing the adoption of ground-breaking technologies. From raw sheet metal to final assembly, this team is reinventing the tools and processes that will enable GM to deliver on our promise to create an all-electric future.
As a member of our Global Team you will support the workplace transformation within a wide range of facilities that GM has around the world. You will work with an industry leading team that designs, builds/constructs, and maintains facilities and building assets for vast operating functions. Doing so in a safe, compliant, cost-efficient manner that utilizes advanced technology to support social & ecological sustainability.
We build the future and not just plan for it!
In this role you will be accountable for facility mechanical system condition assessments regarding safety, compliance with applicable codes, and ability to support the manufacturing process. You will be responsible for forecasting, planning, and executing sustainment projects and maintenance activities pertaining to facility mechanical systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support and drive successful planning and execution of the General Motors Workplace Safety System including but not limited to administration of the Safety Contract Management program, safety observation tours, employee safety concerns, incident investigation, safety module compliance, and compliance of all facilities mechanical systems to applicable GM standards and external codes. Monitor and review all facilities mechanical system changes for compliance to appropriate codes and standards following the management of change process.
- Function as the site subject matter expert for fall hazard and act as the Workplace Safety System champion for the site’s fall hazard program.
- Maintain site mechanical system condition status in the General Motors asset database
- Prepare business case analysis for proposed facility projects. This includes defining the project objectives (safety, regulatory, production sustainment, etc.), estimating costs, performing risk assessments, and forecasting schedules. Ensure all facility related projects support operational considerations with respect to maintainability, reliability, cost to maintain, and support of organizational safety and productivity objectives.
- Manage all elements of facilities maintenance projects including but not limited to bid document preparation, procurement, planning, safety management, code compliance, permitting, adherence to schedule, coordination with all applicable internal and external functional entities, budget performance, invoicing, maintenance deliverables, drawing archival, etc.
- Support implementation of production system projects. Provide input in early stages of production system projects to ensure mechanical building systems support the production system requirements. Ventilation, utility provision, fire protection, and building structural matters along with others must be considered.
- Serve as an engineering resource and technical liaison for all facility related mechanical systems, supporting plant & facilities maintenance with mechanical system issues throughout the plant. Mechanical systems include but are not limited to building structure, railway systems, roof systems, HVAC, sewer systems, roads, parking lots, fire protection, elevators, docks, doors, utility distribution, etc.
- Stay current in your field of expertise in facility technologies and processes including but not limited to codes, building technologies, energy and building management systems, best practices, and certifications.
- Ensure all facility mechanical system drawings for the site are current and accurate. This includes but is not limited to revising construction documents to “as-built” conditions, coordinating with the appropriate personnel for updating master files and archiving projects as required.
- Support auditing, monitoring, inspection, and maintenance performed on facility related mechanical systems.
- Support all facility shutdown events including planned and unplanned utility interruptions. This includes but is not limited to supporting emergency response plans, disaster recovery plans, and business resumption and continuity processes. Be readily available to respond in emergency situations and communicate status per the defined escalation procedure.
- Support and drive successful planning and execution of all Global Manufacturing System principles and elements.
- Support and assist in the successful execution of GM sponsored programs including but not limited to suggestion programs, recognition, special events, tours, and community outreach.
- Adhere and comply to all internal control policies including but not limited to training, access control, and onboarding and off boarding procedures.
- Act as the primary interface between General Motors and external tenants of buildings for which General Motors has contractual building maintenance responsibility.
- Support energy consumption reduction initiatives. Provide technical and operational analysis of energy related problems and develop and execute solutions.
- Communicate with the site personnel and corporate staff to ensure understanding and support of operational metrics, energy conservation initiatives, project implementation status and utility issues.
- Communicate with internal and external customers regarding utilities operational issues.
- Interface with UAW and comply with the local and national labor agreements.
- Guide, train, support and direct the activities of 3rd party service agreement employees.
- Conduct and/or arrange required training for hourly and salaried personnel.
- Interface with GM Audit Services and Legal Staff, as required.
- BS Mechanical Engineering or equivalent training or experience
- Technical aptitude for design, maintenance, and operation of industrial building mechanical systems
- Experience in project planning, engineering, and execution
- High level of analytical skills to evaluate and resolve operational problems
- High level of administrative and organizational skills.
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others and motivate employees. Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization.
- High level of negotiating skills to resolve issues with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to manage complex projects with multiple suppliers, contractors or other GM units within budget and schedule
- Ability to maintain a strong working relationship with other GM staffs.
- Computer skills including competency in office software and electronic information systems
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.