We’re dedicated to achieving our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion. We are looking for people who are passionate about helping us create safer, better and more sustainable solutions for personal mobility. Our bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
GM is undergoing a major transformation, both in how we operate and in how we will influence the future of Infotainment and be the leader in this domain. Virtual Cockpit Unit (VCU) is the heart and brain of the Virtual Cockpit System (VCS) which controls how/what information to be presented to the driver, gateway data between vehicle and external devices, and much more.
The Field Application Engineer position is a dynamic role within the Infotainment Product Development organization responsible for first responding to the issue occurred in the field including at Milford Proving Ground (MPG), Pre-Production Operation (PPO), vehicle assembly plant, Capture Test Fleet (CTF) vehicles, and other locations which the problematic symptom is related to VCU. The candidate will go to the actual location where the issue is observed/reported and perform initial investigation, this includes confirm the issue and its symptoms, verify current component and system status, collect related vehicle’s/component’s log data, as well as work with the team onsite to coordinate the troubleshooting plan involving other related cross-functional teams.
In this role, you will work closely with VCU DREs, domain leads, Software project manager, software developers and other VCU team members to focus on resolving the issue with speed. The candidate needs to have strong communication and able to work in a fast-paced environment, comfortable dealing with ambiguity and complexity.
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. This position requires an employee to be onsite 2-3 times per week.
- First respondent to the issue onsite and conduct preliminary investigation
- Coordinate troubleshooting plan efficiently with related multi-functional teams
- Correlate with issue owner(s) with required data such as issue symptoms and logs
- Support root-cause effort for problem resolution at a system and component level
- Coordinate with CTFs’ drivers to perform data collection and software reflash/upgrade in CTFs
- Experience with Software and Calibration work
- Read-across issues to other vehicle lines and assembly plants
- Track and resolve launch issues with related teams
- Support to remove development and implementation roadblocks
- Support vehicle integration and build events
- Support VCU reflash and retrofit events
- 2+ years of proven experience in electronic/embedded module
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related degree
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential
- Ability to perform diagnostics and problem solving effectively
- Experience with automotive electrical systems and functional sub-systems
- Reacts to priority adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently
- Persuasive, encouraging, and motivating
- Communicates, coordinates, and consults with different engineering departments and customers
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies
- Being dynamic and having a strong ability to multitask assignments
- Must be available outside of normal business hours to capture critical issues when they arise
- Willing to travel as required including in-state or out-of-state (according to the COVID safety and travel policy)
- 2+ years of proven experience in electronic/embedded module focused on Infotainment domain
- Solid understanding of current infotainment technologies, including Bluetooth, Voice Recognition, Wi-Fi, Navigation, and In-vehicle Apps
- Experience with common serial data test equipment (NeoVI, SDATT, DPS Tool, etc.)
- Knowledge of the GMLAN serial data communication protocol
- Knowledgeable of MOST, ETHERNET, LAN, and LIN
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.