As a Value Chain Engineer in Electrical, Chassis and/or Interior/Exterior spaces, you will be working alongside GM purchasing professionals on the cutting edge of technology, pushing the boundaries of efficient and effective material cost optimization, improving commercial opportunities, and mitigating threats. You will collaborate with Supply Base, Purchasing, Engineering, Quality, Finance, Manufacturing, and other business partners. You will do all this as part of an inclusive team, where differences and unique perspectives are adopted so you can reach your fullest potential as you pursue your career!
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
Help buyers to understand and compare part costs:
Confirm supplier cost reporting through audits
Build up cost model with the help of GM standards and experts when you need them
Analyze and compare costs for opportunities and gaps
Use your analysis and available data to support buyers in the development of sourcing and negotiation strategies
Lead continuous improvement and cost reduction activities. Identify waste and inefficiencies at supplier sites
Conduct on-site workshops with suppliers, if needed, to develop improvement plans to address opportunities identified through performance improvement tools
Monitor/accelerate supplier implementation of resulting improvement plans to ensure savings are achieved and coordinate with the respective buyers to ensure the savings are realized
• Bachelor’s Degree is required in Procurement, Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or other related areas
• Project Execution – 2-4 Years (6th Level); 5-10 Years (7th level)
• Comfortable working with multidisciplinary and cross-cultural teams
• Ability to deal optimally with ambiguity and forward-thinking environment
Candidates must demonstrate the following required competencies:
• Analytical Thinking
• Data Judgment
• Workload Management
• Relationship Management
• Vendor/Supplier Management
Preferred Critical Skills are but not limited to:
• Automotive, Industrial, and/or Financial industry experience
• Manufacturing/Operations Experience
• Capable of interpreting market data
• Problem Solving
• Able to read blueprints and to understand basic engineering documents
• Ability to work globally, independently, and self-directed
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES: This role is posted at both the 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.