The GM Defense Electrical Architecture Systems Engineer is the advanced engineering resource that will work on engineering definition of incoming projects into GM Defense specifically for Electrical Architecture/Systems. The Electrical Architecture SE will work on new defense opportunities that the business development arm of GMD bring forward for analysis.
The selected candidate will be responsible for the advanced electrical integration in a fast-paced environment on government programs as well as special projects. The role requires a combination of technical theory and hands-on skills with the confidence and ability to be self-directed in a small team environment. This person will focus on the advanced concepts/activities for brake, steering, suspension, driveline, propulsion/electrification, autonomous and other control modules and sensors for potential deployment to one or more of GM Defense’s future vehicle platforms. This includes supporting early advanced electrical system architecture development, harness development and integration. This role will work with architecture SE's from other domain areas (Propulsion/Electrification, Autonomous, Body, Interior, Chassis, etc.) to develop the entire vehicle design solution that meets the requirements of the Business Development proposal. In addition, key engagement is expected between the internal product owners and vehicle program management. The Electrical Architecture SE on GMD programs is expected to adhere to all ITAR requirements (International Traffic in Arms Regulations).
- Responsible for technology selection and supplier partnering for advanced Electrical Systems
- Responsible for reducing government vehicle requirements into electrical system solutions
- Responsible for defining electrical architecture to support GMD applications
- Responsible for electrical architect activities (wire schematics, Capital Tools, Generating Net Lists)
- Help create vehicle strategies off of "commercial-off-the-shelf" and "newly created" electrical system components that maximize performance and minimize investment
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite minimum of 1-3 times per week.
- BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 5+ years of engineering experience in Electrical SMT strongly preferred.
- Global B electrical architecture knowledge/application
- Experience with mechanical and electrical (routing; wiring) diagrams and using them to troubleshoot
- Experience with data acquisition and analysis
- Strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to work with cross functional teams
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Understanding of engineering theory and principles of design.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Electrical Systems and integration to other SMTs.
- Extensive level of analytical ability where problems are unusual, difficult or complex.
- Demonstrated ability of “dealing with ambiguity” to enable timely decision making.
- Thorough understanding of manufacturing processes.
- Strong understanding of engineering operations, processes, and best practices.
- Strong understanding of Specification and Release terms and systems.
- Consistent collaboration of Global & Regional teamwork for strategy development and critical issue resolution.
- Ability to work periodically at MPG Milford, MI, Base location Warren Tech Center.
- This position requires either a U.S. Person (as defined in applicable export regulations) or a non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain required export authorization(s)
- Role may require DoD Secret Security Clearance
- MS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- DFSS Black Belt certification
- Autonomous Vehicle/Electrification System experience
- Experience with Electromagnetic Environmental Effects (E3) analysis, studies, inspections and tests
- Experience working within the DoD acquisition framework, generating electrical designs and/or specifications.
- Vehicle Launch Experience
- Serial Data MAC knowledge/application (Method Authentication Code)
- 5+ years’ experience in INCA, Vspy and Simulink
- Pre GM experience in Defense Industry
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.