"This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided."
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a nearly completely outsourced IT function. Today GM IT is a dynamic and fast paced organization that designs, develops and maintains all IT infrastructure, applications and solutions enabling GM’s global operations. From designing and building the next generation of electric and other vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet.
Our GM IT team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in cutting-edge technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, vehicle engineering and real-time computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed and business value.
About This Role
- For this role you will be expected to have proven success in software project delivery including experience developing applications using a variety of tools, languages, frameworks, and technologies. Must demonstrate proficiency in many programming languages, tools and/or technologies, performance tuning, and usability assessment/improvement.
- Passionately engage in the identification / remediation of software issues related to code or solutions quality, security, and/or pattern/frameworks and software usability.
- Integrate software with existing software/systems.
- Automate unit/integration testing of software systems within their domain, focused on software quality and maintainability.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to fellow software developers and other team members.
- Perform technical writing involving system design specification and user documentation of software systems while adhering to GM standards.
- Understand and maintain compliance with GM standards and industry standard methodology.
- Hold oneself and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Model GM behaviors and build a winning culture.
- Develop scalable software solutions based on detailed business requirements and supported technology architecture.
- Actively engage in development activities associated with developing new solutions and refining current solutions.
- Mentor & coach new and experienced software developers.
- Demonstrate success in software project delivery, experience driving technical efforts, and experience with a variety of development tools and technologies.
- Possess technical depth and applied experience in multi-layer solution development, performance tuning, solution debugging, incident triage/remediation, and usability improvement.
- Ability to demonstrate adaptive experience while quickly gaining technical situational depth, quantifying impact assessment, triage & root cause analysis, defining remediation options, and providing declarative technical recommendations.
- Collaboratively engage team members and leaders.
- Identify and remediate software solutions to address code quality, security, framework development, and software usability refinement.
- Proven experience augmenting build/release automation solutions to include unit testing, code quality scanning, security scanning, and dependency management.
- Proficiency in build/release automation solutions.
- Demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Expertise in crafting and communicating solution and strategic technical proposals
- Minimum 7 + years of professional software development experience
- Excellent technical knowledge of Java and Oracle
- Extensive UI design/development experience – Strong Angular preferred
- Good understanding of standard software development methodologies
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Proficiency in multiple software development fields (i.e. Agile, Scrum, SDLC)
- Experience with cloud application development (PCF, AWS, MS Azure)
- Knowledge of DevOps and CI/CD concepts (GIT, CI/CD pipelines, automation testing)
- Experience with high throughput messaging systems (topics, event streaming)
- Familiarity in non-relational database technologies and approaches for migration
- Interest in understanding complex data relationships to solve business problems
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.