The High Voltage Hardware Design Release Engineer will be responsible for electrical components in GM’s Stationary Energy Storage Systems in order to accelerate the effort to achieve a cleaner, safer, and an energy efficient future. This role is responsible for component design requirements, execution of design, detailed analysis and design verification testing of high voltage components for battery storage system. High Voltage components range from power conversion devices like inverters and DC/DC converters to electromechanical contactors and fusing. Provides technical direction and product development leadership for the development team.
We believe work-life balance is essential to a team member’s success and job satisfaction. This position allows some work flexibility to ensure our diverse team has good work-life integration and is currently planned to be a part of the Hybrid Work Appropriately model. Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
- Synthesize component requirements from Electrical Architecture, Application Packaging, System and Software requirements.
- Assess existing components for suitability in new application
- For new or modified components, compile all vital requirement documents for the component purchasing process and provide technical expertise during purchasing process.
- Provide technical, manufacturing, supplier development and management, and execution support for components
- Key point of contact for leadership communication on progress and required decisions
- Engage and support Virtual Design Development and Validation in analyzing planned systems
- Support supplier quality assurance process
- Support Technical Specialist in establishing component/system requirements
- Participate in work groups with interactive/interfacing hardware/software teams as required
- Bachelor’s of science degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- 2+ years of experience in related development field
- Understanding of electrical/electronic engineering theory
- High level of analytical ability where problems are complex
- Time management skills to meet agreed upon customer deliverables, able to manage multiple projects
- Familiarity with CAD and CAE
- Technical knowledge in stationary high voltage battery energy storage components and inverters/converters and alternative energy solutions.
- Master’s in engineering
- 5+ years of Engineering experience
- Exhibits appropriate interpersonal style and communication methods to work effectively with diverse teams
- Demonstrated ability to influence without authority
- Demonstrated ability to complete vague and ambiguous assignments with little direction
- Demonstrated ability to present complex technical topics
- Design for Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.