About the role:
Are you a thought leader and subject-matter-expert in the areas of high-performance computing, artificial intelligence, and machine learning infrastructure? The HPC Platform Engineering Manager is r esponsible for defining and executing technical roadmaps and infrastructure delivery supporting GM’s rapidly expanding AI/ML practices. These technologies are mainstream in some of GM’s most exciting new automated driver assist and electric vehicle products.
The HPC Infrastructure Engineering Manager will
- Work with the AI/ML product owners to align engineering capabilities to platform tenant demands and requirements to create a deliverable technical product roadmap
- Monitor, manage and optimize compute and storage capacity, including management of budgetary forecasts, procurement cycles, and delivery of capacity
- Monitor, manage, and continuously improve the reliability and operational stability of the AI/ML platforms
- Drive automation of platform engineering tasks and reduction of toil to allow efficient management of large-scale platforms with minimal manual intervention
- Ensure and continuously advance the security posture of GM’s AI/ML platforms and related service offerings, including working with the broader big data and HPC security assurance team to drive compliance and vulnerability remediation as necessary
- Manage a team of highly talented technical platform and infrastructure engineers including day to day workload management, talent acquisition, retention, and career development
- Operate within an enterprise agile environment using agile methodologies and frameworks to drive backlog prioritization and alignment of product feature delivery to support GM’s rapidly evolving business priorities
- Closely collaborate with the product engineering and site reliability engineering organizations to gain alignment and ensure delivery of the product roadmaps
- Conduct routine executive level reviews with the product management organization to ensure alignment of technical roadmaps and delivery commitments to the various business partner priorities
About you and your qualifications:
- You have 5+ years of infrastructure management experience building and launching technical information technology related products
- Demonstrated expertise in the area of high performance compute and AI/ML infrastructures
- Demonstrated expertise related to leadership of technical engineering teams in a complex and dynamic environment
- Strong experience in communicating cross-functionally and across management levels in formal and informal settings
- You have the ability to prioritize competing customer demands and manage team priorities, maximizing value and optimizing product engineering investments
- Demonstrated ability in conflict management and complex problem solving
Nice to have:
- Experience with adapting external market facing technical trends to products that service large internal stakeholders
- Hands on experience with deployment of large-scale compute and storage clusters in an enterprise environment
- Experience with running HPC and AI/ML workloads in a public cloud or hybrid implementation model
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.