Industrial Engineers will work directly with production in implementing lean manufacturing. They analyze throughput data to help departments improve performance. They are responsible to handle standardized work for future products alongside the core team and help to launch extraordinary products. In steady state, they drive continuous improvement projects.
The Industrial Engineer brings with them an extensive toolbox, wide variety of skill sets and a foundation in problem solving. This leads to exciting career opportunities.
If you want to be part of a diverse team in manufacturing, GM is looking for energetic Industrial Engineers. You will be challenged to implement the latest technology in lean manufacturing while delivering world leading throughput, manpower utilization, waste elimination and productivity improvements. Your work will involve critical thinking and utilization of analytical and interpersonal skills. The ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced manufacturing environment is critical.
The main purpose of the Industrial Engineer is to work to eliminate waste of time, money, materials, person-hours, machine time, energy and other resources that do not generate value.
The position will develop, recommend, and implement changes which will result in the improvement of manufacturing processes and or product quality. The position may support Body Shop, Paint Shop, General Assembly, Quality Operations and/or Material Delivery. The ideal candidate for this position is someone who has a Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Engineering or a related field, along with experience working in a manufacturing environment.
· Maintain accurate time study and ergonomic evaluations for each workstation
· Implement workstation designs that meet safety and ergonomic requirements
· Drive continuous improvement activities for assigned area
· Implement lean manufacturing concepts (GMS)
· Plan & implement productivity improvements
· Support development of assembly process for future vehicle models
· Provide Technical support and assistance to manufacturing and maintenance team members, production supervisors and production associates
HERE’S WHAT YOU WILL DO
Implement common Industrial Engineering business practices and processes including:
- Ability to design work operations that meet safety, quality, and efficiency requirements with high integrity
- Maintain accurate time studies through motion analysis and application of standard time data charts
- Maintain accurate ergonomic studies to eliminate operator injuries caused by repetitive assembly motions
- Maintain accurate routings of parts to their assembly location
- Maintain accurate workstation layouts using computer aided drafting software (AutoCAD)
- Drive continuous improvement efforts in assigned area through elimination of waste
- Evaluate bottleneck areas and support throughput and productivity improvements in assigned area
- Support change management projects by developing line balance plans and participating in production trials
- Reduce total cost by improving productivity metrics related to operator work loading and value-added percent
- Participate in lean manufacturing through implementation of GM’s Global Manufacturing System
- Support implementation and training for standardized work development
- Become a coach and teacher of lean manufacturing principles to the production floor
- Drive problem solving efforts
- Support confidential future vehicle builds
- Implement the IE deliverables listed above for future product launches
- Work collaboratively as one team
- Develop relationships with your production department and related personnel
- Partner with other support departments to drive production department success
- Bachelor Degree required preferably in Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent work experience
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.