This position requires the employee to be onsite on a daily basis.
Unique opportunity to work on GM's flagship & rapidly growing- BET (Hummer EV) and Autonomous portfolio at Factory Zero. Electrified propulsion is a rapidly developing area of automotive engineering, deploying multiple cutting edge systems and features to the vehicle.
The Body in white (BIW) & Exterior, NVH, Wind & Water Launch Quality Engineer or manufacturing IRT will be responsible for leading and delivering the body & exterior systems and components as well as ensuring conformance of NVH, Wind & Water Performance to factory zero by meeting all manufacturing integration requirements with Quality on time by collaborating with SMT DRE's, IRT, VSE, Development team, Program team, Manufacturing Core Team, Launch Coordinators etc. Manage daily requests for problem solving issues affecting production and warranty. In a similar manner, present the Assembly Plant and Engineering Staff with clear problem definition and technical guidance on issues affecting throughput till steady state production and metrics are met. The individual will also be responsible for overlooking and resolving the sealing and noise issues of a particular program during Launch.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Develop quality standards and procedures for the plant during Weld assessments.
- Performance issue resolver at plant primarily for NVH, Wind noise & water leaks.
- Engage in CIT meetings to provide key input to Body in white (BIW) & Exterior from a manufacturing integration perspective.
- Work with PPO QE, CME, IRT, DRE's during IV (Integration vehicle) builds, document all issues on Easel board and PRC/PRTS.
- Work closely with Vehicle Performance Engineers to ensure manufactured product is complying to the VTS and utilize their support as required for vehicle performance concerns identified at the plant.
- Actively engage in IRT, VIRT meetings to drive all open Easel board, PRTS issues to closure at the earliest and escalate issues that need help.
- Monitor compliance to Process Control Plans for Body in white (BIW) & Exterior.
- Manage multiple projects with broad scope and high degree of difficulty.
- Generate unique technical solutions utilizing 7 Diamonds Process, Red X and other tools as applicable.
- Assist production in prevention of defect occurrence and recommend process changes.
- Work with suppliers to address SPPS/PRR issued and ensure robust countermeasures are implemented.
- Work with suppliers and Engineering to develop inspection standards for parts and subassemblies.
- Share lessons learned with Engineering & plants with similar products to prevent repeat design or build issues.
- Review of nonconforming parts and sub-assemblies for proper initial disposition and root cause follow-up.
- Coordinate periodic system and process audits at the plant and at suppliers.
- Coordinate quality evaluation of new vehicles with engineering and production.
- Coordinate engineering change implementation- TWO, EWO etc.
- Support weekly CPIT meetings to address top Body in white (BIW) & Exterior, NVH, Wind & Water warranty items.
- Manage a clean transition of components with zero open item to continuous improvement after launch team release.
- Write/Audit Product Quality Standards (PQS).
- Support SCCT/PIR/OIR meetings for potential safety issues.
- Work Off-Shifts as required.
- Domestic and Global Travel as required.
- 4 year under-graduate in Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in Automotive Engineering space.
- Thorough understanding of welding, stamping, body framing & Exterior systems (Fascia, Moldings, Wiper & Washer System, Exterior Lighting), NVH, Wind & Water Performance.
- Exercises independent judgment in managing complex and ambiguous tasks with minimal input from supervisor.
- Demonstrate ability to attain results, while balancing technical solutions with business imperatives (cost, mass, quality, performance).
- Proven analytical problem solving skills with capability to identify solutions for unusual and complex problems.
- Must excel at problem solving – root cause, containment, robust long term solutions.
- Thorough understanding of GD&T (Geometric Dimension & Tolerance) & ability to understand body tool gauging.
- Understanding of lean manufacturing concepts.
- Thorough understanding and capacity to effectively operate in all areas of the launch and plant production process.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to lead diverse/cross-functional teams as well as mentor, motivate and elicit work output from peers and other team members.
- Effective communicator & team player with solid oral and written presentation skills.
- Advanced degree in Engineering.
- Body in white & Exterior systems, NVH, Wind & Water advanced experience
- Red X Journeyman & DFSS black belt certification.
- Good understanding of SPC.
- Engineering Change Management (ECM/ECR)/Parts Release familiarity.
- Supplier audit experience.
- Knowledge of PPQP, APQP, PPAP requirements.
- Certified Quality Engineer.
Job Level : this position can level 6 or 7
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.