General Motors Advanced Design in North Hollywood, CA is seeking a Lead Fabricator responsible for leading a team of skilled trade employees. This position will require the candidate to have an extensive prototype fabrication background, excellent organizational, project management and leadership skills. The candidate will need to be skilled at specialty vehicle and concept car builds with knowledge of the technologies and fabrication techniques required to produce hand-built vehicles.
Come be an integral part of creating some of the most exciting products within GM, our concept cars. If this sounds like your next step, we'd love to hear from you!
This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead a team of 5-10 Skilled Trades personnel and apprentices
- Exhibit a safety mentality while identifying, taking ownership, resolving safety concerns, leading safety investigations, and supporting the safety champions
- Demonstrate behaviors that support diversity and inclusion within the organization
- Develop standardize work, TIS’s and performs annual staff reviews
- Supports DCF (design center fabrication) team members and supervisors from other Design Fabrication Shops
- Promote and foster an environment which encourages team member involvement, soliciting suggestions, training plans, and continuous improvement
- Provide a leadership role in the implementation of major department initiatives.
- Maintain awareness of quality standards, communicate department quality goals and leverage resources to solve quality problems
- Assist in the training and development of hourly employees
- Communicate between shifts to implement standards and processes, resolve vehicle build and timing issues while maintaining quality expectations
- Perform employee/project timekeeping, payroll input, training, and other administrative tasks, as required
- Interpret and analyze prints with the ingenuity to bench engineer as required
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, Associate degree, and/or equivalent experience
- Experience and technical knowledge of processes and equipment used in the fabrication of concept/specialty vehicles
- Knowledgeable in interpreting 3D math files and CAD and engineering drawings
- Have knowledge of computer software and functionality as it relates to vehicle builds, workflow tracking, data history, reports, and organizational activity
- In depth knowledge of fabrication and manufacturing processes and the ability to articulate and positively influence those processes
- Experience in coordinating/delegating tasks among the various team members for multiple projects while managing workload and resources balance
- Applied work experience with multiple fabrication areas and materials; metal, wood, plastics, composites etc.…
- Capable of drafting standardized work and task instruction sheets and functional understanding of GMS Principles
- A high level of project management skills, leading vehicle builds
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Tools
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of experience with machine tools, measurement devices, and mechanical tools
- Experience in various fabrication technologies i.e., CNC Machining, Waterjet, Paint Processes, Welding Techniques, etc.
- Applied knowledge of hand fabrication techniques and the manufacture of show quality parts
- Available to work overtime during peak periods
- Skilled in on-the-spot vehicle repairs, cosmetic, electrical, and mechanical
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.