Responsible for leading a multi-disciplined engineering team in support of production operations, the design, development, testing, and control of major engineering projects involving tools, equipment, plant and manufacturing processes where a considerable amount of creativity, initiative, and independent judgement is exercised. Will directly supervise and help provide technical direction over seven to ten engineers and engineering support personnel with specific engineering objectives.
- Leads engineering team to continuously improve manufacturing processes to meet business metrics
- Coordinates and sets priorities in support of production operations to diagnose and correct down time and deficiencies in manufacturing operations
- Works with central manufacturing engineering (CME) and product engineering to evaluate product changes and their impact on manufacturing process
- Coordinates implementation of product changes to meet program timing requirements and business metrics and objectives
- Helps lead assessment and solutions to quality problems working with TTO Quality, CME, and product engineering personnel
- Regularly interfaces outside the plant including CME, product engineering, other GM plants, and suppliers
- Participates and leads in plant-wide improvement activities such as GMS, OPEX, cost councils, and special teams assembled to address specific problems.
- Understanding of engineering theory and manufacturing principles
- Demonstrated ability to learn
- Demonstrated ability to work with others in a team environment
- Thorough knowledge of manufacturing processes
- High level analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult in nature
- Ability to understand problems at the detail level and high/system level
- High level of interpersonal/communication skills to work effectively with others
- Good project management, planning, and organizing skills
- Working knowledge of complex mechanical and controls systems, quality, industrial engineering principles, GMS, and other principles
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and difficult projects and assignments with high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Demonstrates initiative by reaching beyond work assigned to improve output and/or help others
Education and Training:
- Bachelor’s degree with major in Engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum 7 – 10 years engineering experience in a manufacturing environment
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.