This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This positions can require an employee to be onsite 1-3 times per week .
Global policies and government affairs are critical to advancing GM’s business objectives and enabling our vision for an all-electric future. At General Motors, Global Public Policy is a first-in-class team that drives growth opportunities through public policy advocacy. Our business-led advocacy and engagement around the world is built upon four strategic pillars:
- Profile & Visibility – Advancing GM’s leadership and relationships with policy stakeholders
- Strategic Insights – Providing political and policy counsel that support GM’s operations and goals
- Policy Development – Influencing policy to drive growth opportunities
- Market Development – Supporting business opportunities through governmental engagement
The Manager of Strategic Initiatives will be a key member of GM Global Public Policy’s Strategic Initiative team, which is responsible for identifying and assessing growth opportunities, emerging risks, and long-term trends; informing and strengthening advocacy; and driving enterprise and policy alignment.
Reporting to the Head of Global Strategic Initiatives, the Manager will be primarily responsible for developing and implementing multi-faceted campaign strategies, managing policy issues, and driving strategic advocacy and engagement across a range of policy issues that impact GM’s global operations.
The role requires a highly organized individual with proven analytical and communications skills, a successful track record of collaboration, a strong policy stakeholder network, and a strategic, results-driven approach that will help enable GM’s vision of an all-electric future for everyone.
Advocacy Campaign Management:
- Contribute to the development and management of multi-faceted policy campaign strategies that enable business opportunities for GM in the U.S. and markets worldwide
- Integrate and align GM enterprise activities and strategic priorities across a range of workstreams and functions with relevant policy advocacy and engagement efforts
- Support and inform advocacy and engagement efforts on a range of policy issues with a particular focus on EV value chains (e.g., manufacturing, supply chains, energy, labor, workforce development, and battery technology)
Policy Issues Management:
- Develop and manage a portfolio of issues to align enterprise and policy goals, activities, and resources in support of Global Public Policy’s strategic priorities
- Prepare clear and concise analyses and executive briefings on important political and regulatory topics for senior GM leadership
- Identify, evaluate, and manage stakeholder and third-party networks that support GM’s advocacy efforts (e.g., think tanks, NGOs, advocacy and political strategy consultants)
- Bachelor's Degree with 7+ years of professional experience in government, public affairs, or a related field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to interact with all levels and across functions, using both technical and non-technical verbiage (two writing samples required)
- Policy stakeholder network and substantive experience in working with a broad range of government officials and policy influencers in the U.S. and international markets
- Understanding of policy issues of interest to the auto industry (e.g., economic competitiveness, trade policies, environmental issues, workforce development, manufacturing and supply chains)
- Excellent project management skills with a successful and measurable project delivery record; capable of setting priorities, meeting deadlines, and managing projects
- Proven history of successful cross-functional collaboration in fast paced work environments
- Clear reputation for ethical conduct, integrity, and confidentiality
- Solutions-oriented approach that is proactive and innovative – demonstrates boldness and creativity that is also strategically relevant and results-driven
- Thinks strategically and deals well with ambiguity – able to adapt and quickly analyze situations, and propose and implement appropriate courses of action
- High level of enthusiasm, persistence, initiative, and experienced judgment to identify priorities, initiate projects, and complete activities with a strong sense of urgency
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.