The Material Strategies Processing Engineer will be a part of Vehicle System’s General Assembly LMS and VAA Processing Team. The Material Strategies (LMS) Processing Engineer is responsible for developing material strategies and investments for future programs to create efficient material flow including, but not limited, to floor space, mobile equipment requirements, manpower requirements, plan for every part, LMS, CMA, automation for material handling, picking technology, and layouts for execution in a GMNA vehicle plant. You will also be responsible tracking metrics and working globally to set new standards for bill of equipment, bill of process, and bill of operations. Key deliverables are due during the Global Vehicle Development Process from DSI to CSO, with continued support through SORP. Seeking a self-directed engineer with industrial engineering and/or lean manufacturing experience, who is open to new concepts and ideas to develop the material planning team. This individual will work with all levels across the corporation, including Material Execution, Conveyors, Manufacturing Engineering (GA, Body, GPS), Logistics, Containerization, Launch Core Teams, and more. This position is a unique opportunity to influence the way we as General Motors operate in our assembly plants.
Key Deliverables/Job Elements:
Ensure overall GA 4 Wall Material Strategies including: material flow, material routings, storage space requirements, mobile equipment, layout development, container development, storage areas, kitting, small lot strategy, sequence planning, PFEP, etc.
- Apply new warehouse compression strategies
- Floor Space Analysis
- Material Flow Analysis
- Dock Analysis
- Plan for Every Part (LMS)
- CMA & LMS Layouts
- Manpower Estimates (utilize APS/GMOS tools)
- Route Planning
- Analyze existing operations and propose continuous improvements (CI)
- Facilities design, layout, and processes that reduce cost/ achieve operational efficiencies
- Develop material investment for future program planning (MPS) & MS studies
- Establish Material Planning Metrics to be applied in North America
- Maintain and Utilize Master Dot
- Establish Deliverables for the Material Planning Team
- Support the Manufacturing Launch team at the plant and Program Team (as required)
- Provide technical support and issue resolution assistance to the plant Material Launch Manager and the Material Team at the Assembly Plant at Manufacturing Vehicle Build events
- Develop and apply Lean Material Strategies (LMS) to design standards
- Create & Drive common standards, processes, and lean designs.
- Integrate Lean Manufacturing and GM-Global Manufacturing System (GMS) principles into Future Product Programs at assembly plants.
- Support PFMEA process
- Monitor adherence to recommended safety procedures and ergonomic guidelines
- Provide on-site support for execution and readiness activities related to major launches.
- Develop best practices and standardized performance metrics across all GA assembly operations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Material, Industrial, Packaging) or equivalent.
- 7+ years of experience
- Proficient in Industrial Engineering an/or Material Planning.
- Strong foundational knowledge of Lean Manufacturing / GMS / The Toyota Way
- Knowledge of core Manufacturing Engineering techniques and skill sets
- General knowledge of Assembly plant floor operations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of material/ production systems supporting vehicle assembly plant ops.
- Knowledge of supply chain: containerization, logistics, purchasing
- Familiarity with GM plant floor systems – MGO, PPS, GEPICS, SEP…
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- Strong analytical, computer, presentation, and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently
- Deals well with ambiguity
- High level of analytical ability & problem solving where problems are unusual and difficult
- Proficiency with AutoCAD, Factory cad or equivalent
- Proficiency with MS-Office tools (Excel, Access, Project, Word, and Power point)
- Knowledge of work measurement/work standards, ergonomic principles, material optimization, and facility layout strongly preferred
- Travel to support development process and execution
- High level of communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to present findings to all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated success in cross-functional project development and execution in manufacturing or supply chain environment.
- Ability to deal with and manage stressful situations.
- Proficient in project management (Master Dot) and tracking milestones to completion
Extensive travel, extended working hours, and varying shift schedules may be required to support Program Development and Launch Execution.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.