Senior Network Engineer
About the team:
The Global Site Engineering team is responsible for the design and implementation of network devices in General Motor’s global telecommunications infrastructure to ensure a secure network design, establishing, and enforcing system standards while maintaining confidentiality, availability and integrity of General Motor’s information.
About the job:
You will be responsible for all network hardware including platforms from Cisco, Meraki & HP, which also requires in depth knowledge of wireless controllers and AP’s. You would be routinely involved with the configuration and maintenance of physical and logical network components. You will also provide support for network issues that come through the customer service center. You will build out WAN/LAN/WLAN networks for many sites around the world. If building and enhancing networks is your passion this position would be prefect for you. This role will have a strong focus on wireless architecture & software defined solutions for wide area connectivity and secondarily local area connectivity.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Your work will include, but not be limited to:
- Responsible for secure network design, establishing, and enforcing system standards; creating and maintaining accurate technical documentation for WAN, LAN, Wi-Fi solutions.
- Responsible for optimizing network performance; wireless surveys; troubleshooting network problems and outages; scheduling upgrades; perform network optimization, including QoS.
- Responsible for supporting next generation software defined networks.
- Involvement in project work including designing wireless architecture and future standards, IOS validation, selection, testing, and implementation of various solutions.
- As needed participation in after-hours maintenance windows to update, change, and install various systems. Involvement of follow the sun on-call rotation.
- In-depth knowledge of Network Access Control for large scale corporate network (Cisco ISE).
- Provide leadership and technical expertise around enhancing GM network automation.
- Collaborate with various industry leaders to analyze requirements and develop technical solutions with a focus on scripting automations and software defined network methodologies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Security, or related field.
- Minimum 3-5 year’s relevant experience with a proven record of successful deployment of network solutions in an office and manufacturing environment.
- Experience with wireless technologies and standards
- Experience with Cisco SDWAN (vEdge & vManage)
- Experience with network methodologies, standards and tools.
- Coding capabilities with preference to SQL and Python.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including executive-level presentations.
- Experience with Cisco & HP network hardware including Meraki.
- CCNP, CCNA, CISSP, CWNA and CWSP and other industry and vendor specific certifications preferred.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.