This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided.
For all external applicants, we are targeting a start date on or after January 10th, 2022 for this position.
The Performance Engineer role works closely with management, architects, business analysts, developers and project managers to promote and support building and delivering performant software and assist teams through task management for the successful and on time delivery of projects with the highest quality as possible.
You will contribute to the full SDLC by being active through requirements, architecture, design, development, testing and support. Knowledge of multiple software development methodologies such as Waterfall, Iterative, and Agile. Knowledge of the different test types needed for a project based on review of the business and software requirements. You will be responsible for performance test case creation, performance test execution/analysis, and reporting to ensure applications meet GM IT standards for quality, security, performance and architecture requirements.
The role requires knowledge in software engineering practices, the creation of test process artifacts, development of performance automation scripts, capacity of application, system, infrastructure, database, and network components.
- Develop automated tests and test frameworks, tools and infrastructure to help drive software quality. Implement standard test execution methodologies, resolve test issues, log track and prioritize defects, record test results and report test metrics and test status to the project teams.
- Awareness of multiple software development and testing methodologies and ability to operate in a fast paced environment across multiple subject areas.
- Experience with test strategy of Web, Mobile and Desktop systems. Understanding of performance, scalability and load.
- A degree within in a technical discipline and/or relevant experience
- Technical skills established within roles including performance engineering, test automation and software development.
- At least 1 years' experience with load testing tools such as Load runner or JMeter.
- At least 1 years' experience in one of the following technical areas; Microsoft .NET performance tuning, Java/J2EE performance tuning, DB performance tuning, Garbage collection and Heap analysis.
- Evidence of an analytical approach and experience correlating data from many system components.
- Experience diagnosing and solving sophisticated technical issues. Experience reviewing architectures and detailed designs.
- Experience identifying bottlenecks across various layers of application stacks. Experience using code profilers and analyzing profiling snapshots.
- Knowledge of application server and database middleware, including tuning.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.