Remote: Position does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee's role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basis.
The Software Defined Vehicle (SDV) team supports the definition, design, and development of continuously improving mobility services. SDV is a new vehicle intelligence platform that will underpin all our future innovations across a wide range of technological advancements, including EVs and expanded automated driving. This means that you can potentially put a fingerprint on the vehicles that drive down the road! This space is ripe with technical leadership opportunities for advanced technology development, as well as the ability to mentor for new employees. You can collaborate with multi-functional teams in engineering, IT, and the business.
The Platform Software Design Engineer position involves designing a key area of the platform software in the Adaptive AUTOSAR. This role needs good understanding of the non-functional (platform) aspects of the ADAS/SDV system architecture. In this role the design engineer provides solutions to the variety of use cases such as communication/IPC/middleware, diagnostics, SW/OTA update, safety monitoring and profiles, security, network and node management and others. Understanding of Classic and Adaptive AUTOSAR is important for taking the design solution to implementation in C/C++. This requires coordination with internal or external teams and in some cases, supplier interactions (e.g., Vector, Tier-1).
This is a great role for someone who excels in a fast-paced environment and is looking for solving software design problems!
- Work closely with Product Engineering, Software Architects and Software Development teams to craft and develop solutions that is flexible and robust
- Provide high level design in a focused area of the platform software
- Be the single point of contact in a particular area of the software design
- Lead design and code reviews with technical specialists within the company, as well as industry specialists from our vendors.
- Coding in the initial phase to prove the design and then handing off to an internal or external software team for further development.
- Makes sure the design meet’s the architectural intent from the system perspective
- Keeps improving the software design by monitoring the performance, technology trends, alternate design solutions and applying the changes to the current design
- Communicates software design information with internal and external customer organizations, leadership teams and product engineering teams
- Leverage Classic and Adaptive AUTOSAR knowledge for the software design
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical degree
- Minimum of 2 years of software architecture and design experience
- Experience C/C++, QNX, VxWorks, GreenHills, Linux (safe) OR any other RTOS used in Automotive industry
- Experience in either ADAS or Infotainment domains
- Master’s degree
- Hands on knowledge of Adaptive AUTOSAR with QNX or Linux (safe) OS
- Design of Safety Critical Systems/Components (ISO 26262)
- Experience with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA), Software as a Service (SaaS), Microservices, etc.
- Understanding in Jira, Bitbucket, Git Ecosystem (GES), Rational Team Concert (RTC), and Rhapsody/RSMT (Interface management).
- Knowledge of vehicle architecture and serial data communications
- Experience with Automated Driving sensors (Cameras, Lidars, Radars, Ultrasonic Sensors)
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES: This role is posted at both the 7th and 6th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
Compensation: This position may be filled with a mid-level (the median level of salary compensation for this role is $97,980)” OR “This position may be filled with a Sr. level candidate (the median level of salary compensation for this role is $126,756).
Bonus Potential: An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.