In our pursuit to create a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, GM’s global manufacturing engineering team is challenging the limits on what is possible and embracing agility as it reimagines how to build the next generation of vehicles. Our diverse team of manufacturing engineers play a crucial role in transforming our facilities through implementing the adoption of ground-breaking technologies. From raw sheet metal to final assembly, this team is reinventing the tools and processes that will enable GM to deliver on our promise to create an all-electric future
The career level process engineer, able to work autonomously with occasional guidance from supervision. Skilled in equipment/tooling alternatives, sequence and flow of operations for the effective utilization of personnel, material, machines and facilities necessary for the production of parts. Work is performed in a centralized manufacturing engineering activity or assembly/plant activity where creativity and initiative is exercised as well as independent judgment.
Responsible for supporting activities that may include:
- SORs and project management for tools, stations or specific technologies.
- Typically part of a larger effort or project
- manufacturing process definition
- sequence of operations
- human factors consideration
- efficient material flow
- - design, construction, integration, plant installation, suc cessful launch and continuous improvement of equipment and tools required in plants for the production of high quality parts
- - providing technical direction to and oversight of outside vendor sources
- - Work may involve development and testing of advanced process technology.
Join GM in an exciting opportunity to become a Polymer Engineer. It is a dynamic environment – focusing on new product development for Chevy, GMC, Buick and Cadillac. Opportunity to work and improve development of new products from conception to execution.
- Responsible for Design for Manufacturing (DFM) of major engineering projects involving part designs, injection molds, resin materials, cost control/value optimization, injection molding equipment, supplier management, plant and manufacturing processes in a centralized manufacturing engineering environment where a considerable amount of creativity and initiative is exercised.
- Work collaboratively with a diverse group of engineers, cross-functional engineers, or other engineering support personnel to drive quality into part designs and manufacturing processes throughout the entire program development cycle from part surface creation to mold validation.
- Lead suppliers (e.g., Tier 1 Part Suppliers, Tool Vendors, Hot Runner Suppliers, Material Resin Suppliers, and Injection Molding Filling Simulation Suppliers) in the development of thermoplastic parts and molds that produce optimal assemblies in the support of the Production Part Approval Process (PPAP).
- Lead suppliers in the development of optimized molding process conditions that yield high quality parts at reduced cycle times during mold validations.
- BS in Plastics or Mechanical Engineering.
- 3-5 years of plastic processing and/or tooling experience.
- Extremely high level of analytical ability where problems are unusual and difficult.
- High degree of interpersonal oral and written communication skills - ability to work across cultures and languages to achieve results.
- Working knowledge in latest version of Unigraphics or equivalent.
- Working knowledge of injection mold filling analysis such as Autodesk-Moldflow.
- Create tool concept sheets for critical parts / mold tooling as part of product development process standardized work for plastic parts. Seamlessly integrate tool concept sheets into a business process that facilitates allowable cost estimating. Closed loop follow-up on T1 validation outcomes as part of ME Polymer standard work to validate tooling.
- Continuously improve Tier I supplier and GM internal mold tool and manufacturing processes, integrating kaizen opportunities back to GMW standards and SOR Appendix E8 through Process Review Meetings.
- Support Strategic Tooling Iniative collaboration with Tier I’s and STI sources to create highest value solutions. Establish and sustain transparent work flow process between tool concept sheet input and allowable cost output.
- Participated with Product Engineering development organizations to implement effective best practices.
- Experienced with Class -A- surface appearance requirements in the automotive industry associated with as-molded, painted and/or wrapped parts.
- Demonstrated capability to formulate solutions that optimize part design, tooling, and processing variables to enable low cost, high quality strategies.
- Collaborated globally in the development of plastic part and tool designs that enable low cost, high quality parts. Demonstrated ability to provide plastic part and tool design solutions through the use of mold filling analysis software that leads to quality parts with reduced mold debug time
- Fosters collaboration and teamwork
- Champion of change
- Evidence strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
- Demonstrate initiative
- Sound communications (writing and verbal skills)
Basic Skills Preferred
- MS in Plastics or Mechanical Engineering and/or MBA.
- 10 years of plastic processing and/or tooling experience.
- Autodesk Moldflow Associate Certification (desired).
- Autodesk Moldflow Professional Certification (preferred).
- Design for Six Sigma Green Belt Certification (desired).
- Design for Six Sigma Black Belt Certification (preferred).
- Scientific molding and process control background such as RJG or equivalent.
- Statistical techniques such as Six Sigma.
- Formal problem solving techniques such as Shainin and/or Design of Experiment (DOE).
- Conversational and technical language skills – Spanish, Portuguese, German, Korean, Chinese (preferred)
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.