This Process Engineer for Advanced Cell Development will work in a world-class environment for GM’s next generation electrified vehicles to build battery cells implementing formulation and test plans for electrolyte screening, cell filling and formation for advanced cell designs. You'll develop, implement and verify specifications for ensuring cell quality, equipment efficiency and minimizing scrap rate in advanced battery cell architectures while working closely with the advanced cell design, engineering and operations teams to troubleshoot quality issues, address gaps in cell-performance targets and implement mitigation measures. In this role you'll develop and implement processing tools to analyze large quantities of in-line sensing data to improve batch-to-batch cell uniformity, process efficiency and yield.
This Role Offers the Following Work Appropriately Strategy: Onsite. This position requires an employee to be on-site on a full-time basis.
Work with advanced cell engineering and manufacturing innovation teams to build component level specifications for properties such as wetting speeds, electrolyte viscosity and purity requirements, electrode dry-out, from cell-level requirements
Point person for implementing DOEs on formation, degassing and sealing protocols to optimize time to cell-assembly and relate process-steps to cell-reliability metrics such as distribution in DCR, or OCV upon formation
Summarize cell quality and yield data from DOEs in status reports; initiate communication across different workstations and project team to coordinate influence of upstream processes on cell quality to meet daily cell production targets
Design tests to efficiently seek opportunities for stack-design improvements; work with the cell design team to modify cell build specifications
Generate daily cell-production reports, relating the influence of upstream parameters such as weld-strength or cell winding tension on cell-level performance and uniformity metrics
Develop and implement closed loop and offline quality control solutions to evaluate and maintain component level metrics such as electrolyte pH and cell level metrics such as leakage rates
Analyze data from one or more process steps to trace stack or cell-level issues back to the respective operation(s); identify and implement mitigation strategies at the fill, formation and/or cell baking steps
Routinely monitor data inventory systems to diagnose and solve in-line faults, trace cell performance gaps to process parameters
Work closely with the operations team to proactively schedule routine, preventive maintenance and coordinate any disruption to daily workflow with the project team; coordinate service requirements with vendor(s), keep inventory of consumable parts and maintenance schedules for station(s)
Support requests from Advanced Cell team for process data and feedback on cell-build specifications in the form of presentations and/or reports
Keep abreast of industry trends, technologies, and best practices
Adhere to all training and safety requirements
Hands-on experience in assembling and characterization of battery cells and/or cell components, use of test equipment, visual inspection systems in a production environment
- Demonstrate excellent level of analytical ability, communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team members and customers to solve problems and resolve issues
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple and complex projects and assignments with autonomy and accountability for results
- Good understanding of major automotive subsystems and cell- and battery-architectures
- Proven ability in project management skills and ability to teach others
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or equivalent
Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Controls Engineering, or equivalent
- Statistical Background and Certifications
- Prior experience or knowledge in plant design and/or turnkey cell-assembly lines
- Demonstrated technical knowledge and ability in relevant disciplines (e.g., chemical handling, electrical safety, battery materials)
- Experience with and/or knowledge of relevant battery control and safety technologies (e.g., Vehicle battery systems, high voltage hardware) and standards
- DFSS Black Belt
For GM Internal Candidates : This role is posted both as a 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate's relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.