- Remote: This position does not require employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work off-site on a permanent basis.
There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why work for us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support employee volunteer interests and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
About the Product Cybersecurity Connected Ecosystem Engineer role
The Engineer for Connected Ecosystem in Product Cybersecurity will work in a collaborative team environment to evaluate the cybersecurity risk of connected ECU’s to then advise or guide the engineering teams to mitigate or accept the risk with appropriate quality of cybersecurity artifacts for delivery at defined milestones. The Engineer will work collaboratively with various associates across GM and Suppliers including the respective Product Cybersecurity Connected Ecosystem ECU Program Manager on the ECU aspects and Security Architects on the ECU interaction with the IT Cloud, Telecom and Infotainment, Mobile, or Web Application interfaces used by GM Connected Vehicle Subscribers or Onstar Advisors across the various regions where GM does business globally.
The Connected Ecosystem is composed of Infotainment and Telematics ECU’s in-vehicle (Internal Center Stack Display, Instrument Panel Cluster, Audio system (microphones and speakers), Heads Up Displays, Multifunction Controllers or other human machine input devices, Rear Seat Infotainment controllers, Silverboxes (full featured radio devices) through the interfaces of Cellular, Wifi, Bluetooth or Bluetooth Low Energy, NFC, and USB to Telecom Providers for delivery through the Onstar Private Network or public Internet to the GM IT Cloud services supporting In-vehicle services or Infotainment Applications, Mobile Applications deployed on GM Connected Vehicle Subscriber smartphones or displayed in Web applications for GM Connected Vehicle Subscribers or Onstar Advisors to use to support the features and functions customers expect in the GM Connected Ecosystem.
Responsibilities include working with multiple Security, and Engineering leadership/stakeholders and technical resources to identify, then educate for reducing the cybersecurity risk in the pursuit to release secure and safe products and services to be used by the GM customers.
Deliverables include, but not limited to identifying and rationalizing security requirements for ECU’s, driving the cybersecurity design reviews and implementation reviews, confirming the validation results specific to cybersecurity for vehicle and services launch, then being prepared and available to help in the vulnerability management and incident response actions.
Work closely with Engineering technical skilled personnel (Systems and Design Release Engineers) and management across GM and our Suppliers to address cybersecurity customer needs and help align expectation across the Product Cybersecurity space for inclusion of appropriate controls that enable the service by protect the customer and GM adequately. Oversee work and deliverables of other joint venture partners and suppliers, when needed.
- Engage with associates including Cybersecurity Program Manager, Product Development Design Release Engineers, Bill Of Material Family Owners and Supplier Engineers to deliver tailored security requirements for ECU’s using Product Cybersecurity specifications for ECU’s during the Pre-Sourcing phase of the Global Vehicle Development Process (GVDP) and/or with Business Leaders, Business Analysts, Dev Leaders and Security Architects through inclusion of Product Cybersecurity requirements inserted into Narratives, Stories or other documents for IT Cloud, Telecom, Infotainment, Mobile or Web Application development.
- Responsible for specifying requirements, execution and evaluation of designs, analysis, development, testing and control of major Cybersecurity engineering projects where creativity and initiative is necessary as well as a high level of independent judgment. Exercises technical direction over other specialists or engineering support personnel.
- Produce quality documentation and education materials for products that cover the scope expected of Connected Ecosystem customers that meeting the timing defined for Product Cybersecurity deliverables throughout the Global Vehicle Development Process (Pre-sourcing, Requirements, Design, Implementation and Validation phases) based on the defined security requirements accepted at contract or through approved change control mechanisms.
- Identify and report issues to the Program Manager for leadership review during the execution of security artifacts specific to Infotainment and Telematics ECU’s in the Connected Ecosystem throughout the GVDP.
- Support Export Controls, Legal, Privacy and Regulatory compliance as required for Product Cybersecurity within GM.
- Demonstrated proficiency in a wide range of embedded security for Infotainment and Telematics ECU’s with various connectivity for vehicle users.
- Expert with a high level of analytical ability where problems are typically unusual and difficult - gather and interpret complex qualitative or quantitative data.
- Understand global program structure and technical integration as it relates to cybersecurity risk to meet launch timing.
- Engage in multiple global ECU projects with broad scope, ambiguity, and high degree of difficulty.
- Answer front line questions from program teams, Cybersecurity, IT, engineering and electrical teams.
- Coordinates input from internal/external customers to better understand customer needs and/or perceptions.
- Coordinate with validation efforts to ensure on-time execution and adequate testing coverage.
- Domestic and global travel, as needed.
- Lead development of Cyber Security projects. Provide, communicate, and support common best practices among software community. Acts as a Domain Expert (SME) for at least one platform, project or component.
Required Skills / Experience / Education:
- 2+ years of post-graduation engineering/Cyber experience required.
- Bachelor of Science with STEM / technical focus required.
- Ability to travel as needed (anticipated 5% at most).
- This position requires legally operating a motor vehicle.
- 1+ years of experience with structured experience in ECU engineering and security-related initiatives.
- Solid analytical/problem solving skills with capability to identify solutions to unusual and complex problems.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to participate in diverse/cross-functional teams, as well as educate/coach others on cybersecurity controls in the connected ecosystem ECU space.
- Willingness for flexible work hours as necessary to support global program meetings.
Preferred Skills / Experience / Education:
- 4+ years of post graduation experience preferred with effective cybersecurity risk evaluation and applying mitigation techniques across embedded controllers, distributed computing systems and, software vulnerability management.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.