Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
- This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-4 x per year.
This is an exciting opportunity if you are looking to grow your security skillset while shaping the future of automotive security innovation. GM is undergoing a major transformation, both in how we operate and in how we will influence the future of transportation. Product Cybersecurity Innovation Engineer is responsible for leading the cybersecurity advanced technology exploration, investigation, execution and technology insertion, driving cybersecurity innovation into GM’s connected vehicle eco-system and keeping GM’s Product Cybersecurity posture commensurate to the ever-changing threat landscape.
- Stay atop of the latest cybersecurity technology trends, participate in cybersecurity technology roadmap development, execute cybersecurity ATW (Advanced Technology Work) projects and review a variety of external ATW projects in other domains such as Connectivity and Infotainment, Autonomous Driving, Active Safety, Advanced Propulsions, etc., with exciting new technologies.
- Cybersecurity Innovation Engineer will work with the Cybersecurity Innovation Team and cross-functional teams inside and outside Product Cybersecurity to move Cybersecurity Innovation forward.
- Explore and investigate cybersecurity advanced technologies, analyze and evaluate benefits of bringing those advanced technologies into our connected vehicle system.
- Conceptualize ATW project ideas, propose project scopes, present project ideas to the Cybersecurity Innovation Team for approval.
- Conduct cybersecurity ATW projects, manage project execution, transfer knowledge learned from ATW projects to team members, propose technology insertion into production.
- Continuous study of cybersecurity best practices for securing embedded control systems, cyber-physical system and connected vehicle eco-system.
- Perform threat analysis, risk assessment and cybersecurity reviews of external ATW projects, provide review results to ATW project leaders to build in cybersecurity from the beginning.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Systems Engineering or equivalent majors.
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Working knowledge of best practices, design methodologies and security technologies used to secure connected vehicle eco-systems.
- Working knowledge of common operating systems used in automotive ECUs, consumer electronics or mobile devices.
- Working knowledge of automotive microcontrollers architectures.
- Experience in embedded security, cyber-physical system security, IoT security, or security design.
- Relevant industrial or academic experience in cybersecurity for embedded systems and cyber-physical systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work with cross-functional teams.
- Effective project management skills.
- Ability to handle ambiguity and make recommendations with limited data.
- This position requires legally operating a motor vehicle on a daily basis.
- Advanced degrees (M.S. or Ph.D. in cybersecurity) in relevant fields is preferred.
- Understanding of cryptographic techniques is preferred.
- Experience in automated driving, connected vehicle and major automotive subsystems is preferred.
- Knowledge of Super Cruise, Ultra Cruise and ADAS is preferred.
- Knowledge of sensors, artificial intelligence, machine learning and their security is preferred.
- Knowledge of automotive communication protocols (e.g., CAN, CAN-FD, Ethernet, etc.) is preferred.
- Knowledge of wireless technologies such as 3G/4G/5G, LTE, Wi-Fi, C-V2X, Bluetooth and BLE, NFC, UWB is preferred.
- Adversarial mindset from hacker’s point of view is preferred.
- Cybersecurity research and development experience is desired.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.