Product Designer – Industrial Design
The General Motors Industrial Design Group is accepting portfolios from curious, passionate, and collaborative industrial designers. We are looking for highly motivated, determined problem-solvers with a rigorous attention to detail. We are interested in seeing work at all levels.
The General Motors Design organization is transforming the future of transportation and mobility solutions. This is an incredible opportunity to be part of a team that is impacting the future of young people, as well as building the diverse talent pipeline for GM Design!
Located at the Design Center in Warren, Michigan, this Designer will lead the conceptualization and development Design Projects within the Product and Experience Group. In this position, you will work across GM Design, Marketing, Fabrication and Prototyping, as well as with external suppliers, and creative agencies.
The Product Designer responsibilities include defining product specifications, creating digital or print drawings and designing fully-functional products. To be successful in this role, you should have an eye for color and shape and be able to translate requirements into practical product features. Ultimately, you will help us build products that are easy to use and visually appealing to our potential customers. This is a great opportunity for a dynamic designer who is interested in using and expanding their skills working on a wide variety of exiting products. If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
- Identify opportunities for new products
- Analyze how a new product ties in with market needs and consumer preferences
- Set design requirements based on briefs from internal teams and external partners
- Research materials and techniques
- Sketch drafts on paper or digitally
- Use 3D modeling software to design products and components
- Produce prototypes and test functionality
- Improve the design of existing products
- Gather feedback from product users
- Domestic and International Travel as needed
- Willing to spend 32+ hours working Face to Face in the GM Design Studio (Remote work up to 8 hours per week if desired)
***Please note, you must submit a Portfolio to be considered for this position – See Instructions Below***
- Future forward mindset
- Strong design judgment
- Work experience as a Product Designer or similar role
- Ability to hand sketch or sketch using Adobe Photoshop
- Creativity in mixing up colors, shapes and techniques
- Strong Renderings, layout, graphics, and viscom
- Hands-on experience with computer-aided design / Alias Studio Tools
- Good knowledge of 3D modeling software
- Digital Skill Set – Alias, VRED, Unreal Engine, Virtual Headsets, 3D Printing, Milling Surface
- Proficient with 3D execution
- Time-management skills
- Flexibility with changing work hours as required
Education and Experience
- Degree in Design
- 5+ years of experience in Industrial Design, Product Design, or Transportation Design. Experience with consumer products preferred.
- Proven track record of designing and delivering products to the marketplace
- Product Design Portfolio Required for Interview
PORTFOLIO SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
To be considered for this position, you will need to submit a portfolio in addition to your resume and profile. You may include a link to your online portfolio in your resume or the "website" section of the application OR if your portfolio is not available online, please follow the instructions below to upload your portfolio as a separate attachment as you did with the resume.
1. Save your portfolio as a pdf document
2. Name your portfolio your LAST NAME, FIRST NAME. Example: Candidate name is John Smith. Portfolio pdf file name is: Smith, John.pdf
3. Upload as an attachment - you may have to condense the file.
DISCLAIMER: The Works included in your Career Portfolio must not be subject to any non-disclosure and/or confidentiality agreement. If the Works in your Career Portfolio are owned by your current or former employer, or by any other Third Party, there must be an express written consent from the Owner allowing the Works to be included in your Career Portfolio for sharing with General Motors (“GM”). By sharing your Career Portfolio, you grant to GM the right to quote, paraphrase, reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use all or any portion of the Career Portfolio for purposes of making a hiring determination. By sharing your Career Portfolio, you also agree to release and discharge GM, and its licensees, successors, and assigns, from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action that you may have regarding any use of the Career Portfolio, including (but not limited to) any claims based on the right to privacy, the right to publicity, copyright, libel, defamation, or any other right.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.