GM Design is seeking a Digital Sculptor for our Production studios. In this role, you will execute digital models by developing aesthetic surfaces which meet time and quality requirements as advised by Sculpting Leadership. You will support Sculpting leadership with mentoring others in efficient methods for developing models, integrating new technologies, and crafting workflows.
This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite 3-5 times per week.
***Please note, you must submit a Portfolio to be considered for this position – See Instructions Below***
- Design component/subsystem requirements, using GM CAD and Data Management System for Design Studios
- Use Criteria and Typical Sections for crafting digital class A surface adhering to GVDP requirements with quality, on time
- Proficient in Design Standards and Best Practices for part development.
- Demonstrate application of design operations and processes
- Applies manufacturability, Design for assembly, and integration knowledge to parts and subsystem designs.
- Participates in Design Reviews, both scheduled and informal workstation reviews, as required
- Supports CAE, Studios and suppliers with studies to improve designs
- Stays ahead of current product developments and trends in area of responsibility
- Proactively communicates efficiently with all partners
- Actively identifies new areas for learning and takes advantage of learning opportunities
- Associates degree, Bachelors preferred, in a technical field or equivalent experience in class A surfacing
- Skill set in math release process, specifications, and data management
- Knowledgeable of product design concepts and manufacturing processes (i.e. injection molding, stamping, extrusion, machining, etc.)
- Proficient understanding of Specification and Release terms and systems in Team Center (TCAE)
- High level of creative/technical proficiency
- Expertise in the use of sculpting software, i.e. Alias, NX
- High level of sketch interpretation/ability to translate design input into 3D models
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others
- Knowledge of current trends in design, technology, production methods and materials
- Seeks opportunities for innovation by using the latest ideas and implementing continuous improvement initiatives
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES: This role is posted at both the 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
PORTFOLIO SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
To be considered for this position, you will need to submit a portfolio in addition to your resume and profile. We strongly recommend linking your online portfolio in the "website" section of the application as we are able to access much larger files that way. If your portfolio is not available online, please follow the instructions below to upload your portfolio as a separate attachment as you did with the resume. Please NO dropbox files or Google docs.
1. Save your portfolio as a pdf document
2. Name your portfolio your LAST NAME, FIRST NAME. Example: Candidate name is John Smith. Portfolio pdf file name is: Smith, John.pdf
3. Upload as an attachment - you may have to condense the file.
DISCLAIMER: The Works included in your Career Portfolio must not be subject to any non-disclosure and/or confidentiality agreement. If the Works in your Career Portfolio are owned by your current or former employer, or by any other Third Party, there must be an express written consent from the Owner allowing the Works to be included in your Career Portfolio for sharing with General Motors (“GM”). By sharing your Career Portfolio, you grant to GM the right to quote, paraphrase, reproduce, distribute, or otherwise use all or any portion of the Career Portfolio for purposes of making a hiring determination. By sharing your Career Portfolio, you also agree to release and discharge GM, and its licensees, successors, and assigns, from any and all claims, demands, or causes of action that you may have regarding any use of the Career Portfolio, including (but not limited to) any claims based on the right to privacy, the right to publicity, copyright, libel, defamation, or any other right.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.