In our pursuit to create a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, GM’s global manufacturing engineering team is challenging the limits on what is possible and embracing agility as it reimagines how to build the next generation of vehicles. Our diverse team of manufacturing engineers play a crucial role in transforming our facilities through implementing the adoption of ground-breaking technologies. From raw sheet metal to final assembly, this team is reinventing the tools and processes that will enable GM to deliver on our promise to create an all-electric future.
The automotive industry is likely to change more in the next 5 years than it has in the last 50, and we are at the heart of that change. Our team is responsible for the installation, debug, and launch of the manufacturing systems producing batteries to power the automobiles of tomorrow. If you are innovative, creative, enjoy working with the latest technologies, and thrive in a fast-paced, team-orientated environment, here is your chance to make a career of it.
GM’s Spring Hill Battery RESS team is looking for experienced process engineers to help lead GM toward an all-electric future. The selected candidate will work at our manufacturing facility in Spring Hill Tennessee. Initially, through the early stages of launch, the candidate will be supporting equipment install and start-up that may require weekly travel to other startup facilities and OEM locations in North America. Estimated travel is 2.5 weeks/month in 2022. After PPAP this position transfers to the focused factory Process Engineer at Spring Hill Tennessee.
JOB DESCRIPTION / KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The selected candidate will be responsible for the Process Implementation of the BEV3 Battery Program @ Spring Hill Battery Assembly. This includes installation, debug, runoff, and PPAP of equipment to manufacture Lithium-Ion Batteries. Work is performed in a team environment, consisting of daily interactions with product engineering, plant engineering, process, maintenance, operations, and a multitude of others, to successfully launch this new product. Work will be performed in a plant environment where a considerable amount of creativity and initiative is exercised as well as a high level of independent judgment.
- Process Implementation of the BEV3 Battery Program for Spring Hill Battery Assembly in Spring Hill, TN.
- Provide input to Equipment / System Design
- Participate in safety g-Risk activities with cross functional group
- Participate in approval of drawings, build reviews, and conducts process run-offs at OEM site
- Collaboration with the Operations Team on Program Deliverables
- Procedure development for operator station fault resets.
- Plant Equipment Install / Debug / Launch / Continuous Improvement
- Providing technical direction to and oversight of outside vendors
- Assist in project management with the Battery Assembly Project Execution team
- Actively participate in the SCRUM / Agile Process to accomplish daily tasks and meet the project deliverables.
- Participate in the Launch wall meetings
- Participates in equipment installation board and review weekly/daily with OEM and contractors
- Supports plant floor equipment installation, tracking and countermeasures
- Participate in the PPAP review meetings for areas of responsibility utilizing the PPAP checklist, capturing exceptions
- Participate in lessons learned gathering activity and feedback with the central process teams
- Assists in closure of all open issues for Launch Deliverables
- Transitions from launch support to focus factory support as production is ramped up
- Must be willing to work off shifts and extended hours from time to time
- Demonstrated level of analytical ability, communication and interpersonal skills required to build relationships with team members and customers to solve problems and resolve issues.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and complex projects with a high level of autonomy and accountability for results.
- Demonstrates initiative by reaching beyond work assigned to improve output and/or help others.
- High level of interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others
- High level of oral and written communication skills
- Engineering assignments with successful individual achievements or strong team-based achievements.
- Demonstrated interest and ability to learn and apply agile methodologies throughout project
- Effectively deals with ambiguity and copes with change
- Stays abreast of new automation and technology
- 3+ years industry experience as a process engineer
- Strong technical knowledge of automation systems and the ability to apply these concepts within a manufacturing environment
- Experience in troubleshooting equipment [Problem Solving / Debug]
- Competency in GD&T.
- Understanding of Pneumatic, Mechanical, and Control drawings.
- Understanding / Application of Part Locating / Mechanics / Machine Design
- Understanding of Theory of Constraints [Goldratt / The Goal]
- Experience with Time Cycle Diagrams and Man / Machine Charts
- Demonstrated understanding of plant floor work
- Experience with PFMEAs / Simulation / Fastening Equipment / Servo Presses / Sealing Dispensers / Cameras / Error Proofing Devices
- Practical Problem-Solving Skills [Formal Training / Practical Application: Red X / 7 Diamond / Shainin / Fish Bone]
- Understanding of Global Manufacturing Systems (GMS) and all manufacturing engineering disciplines
- Understanding of GMIT manufacturing IT systems
- Safety controls systems experience
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or BS in Mechatronics or equivalent process experience.
Job Level / Grade: 6/7 - Lateral Only
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.