Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
The Scrum Manager is a servant leader responsible for coaching the Scrum team to make progress, learn, and function at the highest level, which includes removing impediments to progress, facilitating meetings, and working with product owners to ensure product backlog is well-refined and ready for the next sprint, and acting as a buffer between the team and any distracting influences. This requires a good understanding of the Scrum framework and the ability to train others on it.
As a Scrum Manager you will:
Keep the team moving forward by fostering the team's self-organization and removing distractions, impediments, and roadblocks.
- Ensure the team is fully functional and productive
- Enable close cooperation across all roles and functions and removes barriers
- Shield team from external interferences
- Encourage team to be more self-organizing and self-managing
Facilitate Scrum Ceremonies
- Show team planned velocity vs. historical velocity, to make sure targeted work can be accepted
- Help Product Owner planning and road mapping discussions
- Foster conversations/communications
- Enforce team ground rules and cultural norms
- Review action items and holds team accountable for follow through
- Facilitate Sprint Reviews; Work with Product Owner and team to determine agenda for the review
- Monitors team for:
--People working in isolation for more than a day
--Anyone making little visible progress
--Wait times or other wasteful processes
--Poor software engineering practices
--Opportunities to amplify cross-training and "T" shaping
--Slippages in quality or velocity trends
- Must be able to communicate well with teams and demonstrate value-add principles
- Experience as a Scrum Master for a software team that was diligently applying Scrum principles, practices, and theory preferred
- Must have the requisite agile knowledge of software development experience to coach and guide Development Team members on how to improve their skills.
- Must be able to ensure Agile/Scrum concepts and principles are adhered to and make the tough calls
- Ability to notice differences and issues as they arise and elevate them to management
- Must be high-energy and motivational
- Ability to facilitate discussion and encourage alternatives or different approaches
- Ability to lead a team to self-organization
- Ability to bring disclosure and transparency to the business and grow business trust
- Ability to recognize and address behaviors that are counterproductive to the team dynamic and meeting sprint objectives
- Effective at mediating peer disputes and interpersonal or working style differences
- Attitude of inclusiveness and a bias for making sure all team members have a voice and seat at the table
- Understand basic fundamentals of iterative development as it pertains to moving/converting to an Agile methodology
- Understand other processes and methodologies and basic fundamentals of software development
- Understand incremental delivery and metrics
- Understand backlog tracking, burndown metrics, velocity, and task definition
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.