Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 days per week.
Do you imagine a world of zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion? We do. We place our customers at the center of everything we do, and we are creating vehicles that move humanity to that goal. To reach this ambitious goal we need to create a modern vehicle computing platform that is capable to integrate all the advanced features like active safety, driving assistance systems, infotainment, connectivity, and vehicle motion. This new platform shall seamlessly connect in-vehicle computing controls with cloud and edge computing resources. Join the Software Defined Vehicle (SDV) organization today!
The Lead Design System Engineer will work on Automated Driving and Active Safety Software. They will be responsible for the integration of new software functionality into multiple vehicle programs and provide technical leadership to execution teams. Job responsibilities include:
- Define and lead corporate software strategy for new technology, highly complex features, or significant enhancements for current, new, or major programs
- Provide technical leadership to execution teams for development and integration
- Lead the planning, coordination, and release of an embedded control system at the module level
- Lead the resolution of issues identified at various stages of development and production
- Serve as single point contact for Program Team, Validation, Manufacturing, and other customers
- Lead integration and verification testing of integrated software at the module level
- Stay abreast of new technology and competitive products and define GM direction
- Provide, communicate, and support common best practices among software community
- Perform as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for one or more platform or application components
- Promote and improve process and standards adherence
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical degree
- Minimum of 5 years of automotive engineering experience working with embedded control systems
- Experience in software algorithm design, performance tuning, debugging, documentation, and testing
- Ability to work in a disciplined software development environment
- Demonstrated results in successful project execution
- Excellent multi-functional communication and leadership skills - able to get multiple teams moving in the same direction
- Demonstrated ability to "Deal with Ambiguity" while driving timely decision making
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, high-change environment with an initiative demonstrated by reaching beyond assigned work to improve output and help others
- Passion for solving interesting problems
- Master of Science in Engineering and/or Master of Business Administration
- 10 years of automotive engineering experience working with embedded control systems
- Leadership experience of teams of engineers responsible for developing or testing embedded control systems or related hardware
- Demonstrated ability to manage and measure work through metrics, data, and results
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.