This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided.
GM’s Global Purchasing, Supply Chain & Logistics IT team innovates and drives business value with systems that help GM deliver consistent messaging, transactions and services. The Global Purchasing, Supply Chain & Logistics IT team is responsible for developing and delivering solutions leveraging a wide array of systems architectures and technical platforms. Our industry leading developers, engineers, testers and architects work closely with internal teams and dealers to deliver the world’s best customer experience.
The Senior Mainframe Software Developer will take part of a major mainframe modernization at GM. The job provides a great opportunity to work in a past faced environment utilizing a modern development toolkit with the introduction of Dev Ops tools and practices for the GM Mainframe.
In this role the developer is responsible for developing or enhancing software applications using sound, repeatable, systematic and quantifiable approach to application development on a foundation of industry standard methodologies and in accordance with GM's software development/project methodology (Agile mostly). The Software Developer will contribute to the definition of technical features and stories and will work hands-on writing code based on requirements and system specifications (features and user stories). Development activities will include updating existing software and/or developing new programs to address a specific need or tackle a particular business or technical problem.
The role will include estimation, analysis, design, programming, unit/integration testing, deployment, code debugging and job scheduling whenever applicable. Level 3 support will be a project requirement. This developer will work in a highly collaborative and increasingly Agile environment and will assume a key role for various new solutions within GM’s Global Purchasing and Supply Chain business
This is a role that would suit someone with 10-15 years of Mainframe skills, who is a strong teammate with a positive, confident demeanor and a flexible approach.
Prospective candidates will need creativity, decision-making skills, a drive for results, the ability to develop peer relationships, a strong technical learning capability, excellent communication skills and a strong work ethic. Being self-starter and able to work independently are must-have attributes.
Additional Job Description:
In addition, the candidate will possess some or all of the following skills:
- Fully qualified individual contributor who has knowledge and understanding of all aspects of function
- Ability to operate with a high level of independent judgment and are typically responsible for implementing functional strategy, administering and coordinating programs, counseling and advising management
- Broad technical knowledge, training and understanding combined with creative and independent thinking
- Proficiency in many technical functions and ability to integrate across disciplines and platforms
- Performs sophisticated assignments requiring a wider application of principles, theories and concepts
- Ability to interact with other senior internal and external personnel
- Ability to lead and provide direction to a team of professionals
Estimation, Analysis, Design, Design reviews, Coding, Code reviews, unit testing in small increments of work (mainframe) Troubleshooting (root cause analysis) and debugging applications in different mainframe programming languages Software testing and quality assurance Document software code and ensure that user documentation i.e. configuration guides, install guides, system designs, others meet requirements Develop and Integrate software with existing systems Maintain standards compliance Perform Level 3 support for GPSC mainframe applications currently running in Production Estimate, and design small increments of work for other developers Mentor less experienced team members and apprentices Report status of assigned software development and/or maintenance tasks consistently following the specified software development methodology Promote improvements in lean software engineering practices such as test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous delivery Communicate effectively with a positive and confident demeanor
Required Qualifications and Technical skills:
- BS in computer science, engineering, math or technical subject area or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience is required
- Languages: PL/1 (Required), Cobol (important) and JCL
- IMS DC/TM for transactional processing
- ISPF Panels, CLIST, Skeletons, REXX
- Database: IMS and DB2
- Scheduling tools: IWS and/or CA7
- IDE: IBM Developer for Z Systems
- Solid understanding of midrange platforms
Additional Attributes/Skills (desirable but not essential)
- Different IBM tools: ITOM, RACF, Connect-Direct, IBM Rational Functional Tester, IBM Optim
- Agile, SCRUM, KANBAN methodologies
- Test Automation
- ZDevOps and distributed SCM experience e.g. GIT
- Urban Code Deploy
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.