This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided.
In this role the developer is responsible for developing or enhancing software applications using sound, repeatable, systematic, and quantifiable approach to application development on a foundation of industry best practices and in accordance with GM's software development/project methodology (Agile mostly). The Software Developer will contribute to the definition of technical features and stories and will work hands-on writing code based on requirements and system specifications (features and user stories). Development activities will include updating existing software and/or developing new programs to address a specific need or solve a particular business or technical problem.
The role will include estimation, analysis, design, programming, unit/integration testing, deployment, code debugging and job scheduling whenever applicable. Level 3 support will be a project requirement. This developer will work in a highly collaborative and increasingly Agile environment.
This is a role that would suit someone with 10+ years of Mainframe development experience, who is a strong team player with a positive, confident attitude and a flexible approach. Strong java experience is a plus as we look develop APIs to leverage existing business rules on the mainframe and migrate legacy mainframe applications to the web. Prospective candidates will need creativity, decision-making skills, a drive for results, the ability to develop peer relationships, a strong technical learning capability, excellent communication skills and a strong work ethic. Being self-starter and able to work independently are must-have attributes.
About the Team:
The Senior Mainframe Developer will be a member of the Development team supporting GM’s Global Purchasing and Supply Chain business as we execute GM’s vision of zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Estimation, Analysis, Design, Design reviews, Coding, Code reviews, unit testing in small increments of work
2. Troubleshooting (root cause analysis) and debugging applications in different mainframe programming languages
3. Software testing and quality assurance
4. Document software code and ensure that technical documentation i.e. configuration guides, install guides, system designs, others meet requirements
5. Develop and Integrate software with existing systems
6. Maintain standards compliance
7. Perform Level 3 support for GPSC mainframe applications currently running in Production
8. Estimate, and design small increments of work for other developers
9. Mentor less experienced team members and apprentices
10. Report status of assigned software development and/or maintenance tasks consistently following the specified software development methodology
11. Promote improvements in lean software engineering practices such as test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous delivery
12. Communicate effectively with a positive and confident attitude
· BS in computer science, engineering, math or technical discipline or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience is required
· 10+ years of experience as a mainframe developer
· Languages: PL/1 (Required), Java (important), Cobol (important) and JCL
· IMS DC/TM for transactional processing
· ISPF Panels, CLIST, Skeletons, REXX
· Database: IMS & DB2 (required), Oracle & PostgreSQL (important)
· Scheduling tools: IWS and/or CA7
· IDE: IBM Developer for Z Systems
· SCM: Endevor, Azure DevOps, IBM DBB
· Solid understanding of midrange platforms
· Experience with modern mainframe toolsets to help with discovery, profiling, and migration automation
· CI/CD experience in defining and managing the build, deployment, and release pipelines.
· 7+ years hands-on experience using JAVA, REST, microservices, and containers (Pivotal Cloud Foundry or Docker/Kubernetes) and integrating mainframe and midrange applications
· Expertise leveraging Object Oriented Programming methodologies and design patterns including domain-driven design, microservice architecture, cloud native (12 + 3 factor), service mesh and cloud design patterns
· Scaled Agile Framework architect experience
· Easytrieve programming
· Different IBM tools: ITOM, RACF, Connect-Direct, IBM Rational Functional Tester, IBM Optim
· Agile, SCRUM, KANBAN methodologies
· Test Automation
· ZDevOps and distributed SCM experience e.g. GIT
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.