This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided.
The Senior Performance Engineer is a technical leader position requiring knowledge and passion for improving system reliability, building automation and solving problems. This individual will inspire multiple project teams including performance engineers, quality engineers, software development engineers, and data analysts to adopt industry leading performance engineering practices that will improve the scalability, responsiveness, and reliability of core applications within the organizational portfolios.
This individual and will influence the overall team to increase our ability to infer internal performance by increasing our knowledge of external outputs and their correlation. This will further improve the reliability of GM’s business critical services in a complex distributed system. You will be directly responsible for the development and implementation of solutions and techniques that strive to improve operational KPI’s, as well as envisioning and building dashboards to highlight these KPIs, and automating tasks which previously were manual. Crafting scalable engineering practices allowing for deeper diagnostics and optimizations will be at the heart of what you do. As a technical leader with vision you will study and understand performance engineering and SRE industry standard methodology and help to elevate GM’s maturity and status within the broader technology community.
- You are able to lead a team of performance test analysts and engineers to drive the team to deliver world class performance engineering services
- You are passionate about influencing project teams to deliver and operate highly scalable and highly available applications
- You understand the non-functional requirements, service level objectives, error budgets, performance budgets, and advocate for appropriate definition and maintenance.
- You can collaborate on a team to build, review and help design high-quality software and systems
- You have broad technical experience with ASP.NET Core, Java, RESTful APIs, server and network infrastructure, and databases
- You are expected to be a self-starter, innovative and always looking for new ways to contribute to the team.
- You will lead, coach, mentor, and partner with team members and other groups.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, or related field of study or any combination of equivalent experience, education and training.
- Minimum 7 years of technical experience where you influenced stakeholders and guided a team.
- Experience in support of full stack application and highly distributed systems with high transaction volume.
- Moderate knowledge of standard performance engineering and SRE methodologies and prior experience with implementing performance engineering practices within a team.
- Understanding of observability tools (ELK Stack, Dynatrace, Splunk and New Relic) and a tested strategy that simplifies implementation and improves monitoring coverage.
- Experience with container deployment and orchestration technologies at scale with knowledge of the fundamentals to include service discovery, deployments, monitoring, scheduling, and load balancing
- Ability to align engineering, quality, and operations teams to common goals and drive multi-functional collaboration.
- Experience engaging peer teams to drive root cause analysis of critical incidents.
- Mentor a complementary team of engineers and collaborate with them to deliver high-quality solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and collaboration skills to effectively connect with both technical and business teams.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.