Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-4 x per year.
We’re dedicated to achieving our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion. We are looking for people who are passionate about helping us create safer, better and more sustainable solutions for personal mobility. Our bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
About the team:
The UltraCruise Data Engine team takes a significant part in redefining traditional cars into software-defined vehicles. We craft the face of the future vehicles in diverse fields by developing groundbreaking technologies.
Our automated driving AI application develops the “brain” of the autonomous vehicle by applying groundbreaking technologies into our vehicle's Perception and Decision-Making capabilities.
Within the large, automated AI application organization, the UltraCruise Data Engine Group is developing and operating an efficient Data Engine for automated driving development.
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible and accountable for the quality and coding of software components that make up sophisticated systems enabling self-driving vehicles, semi-autonomous vehicles, and a variety of other machine learning efforts.
This role requires a deep experience in software engineering practices and an understanding of emerging technologies. Senior Engineers will work in partnership with senior architects, development leads, and managers while contributing to multi-layered solution architectures that comprehend and specify business, application, data, and infrastructure designs.
- Own features and successful implementation from end to end; Design, build, and maintain the core Data Engine product, services and APIs used by all General Motors’ autonomous vehicle engineering teams.
- Work with a wide range of systems, processes, and technologies, building effective solutions and development processes.
- Get hands on with Autonomous Vehicle data from sensors such as LIDAR, Camera, Radar etc.
- Scrutinize and clearly communicate the technology and architecture choices we make.
- Continuously improve software development processes, tools, and standards in an agile setting.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 2+ years of software development, data engineering or technical architectural experience.
- Strong Python software development experience and knowledge.
- Applied Object Oriented Programming and Unit Testing experience.
- Hands on experience with relational database and ORM.
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application.
- 5+ years of software development, data engineering or technical architectural experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or applicable technical field of study.
- Analytical and problem-solving experience with large-scale platforms, infrastructure, and organizations. Understanding of event driven data processing architecture.
- Docker, NoSQL, Dremio, Spark, Kubernetes, CI/CD, React/Angular experience.
- Able to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system.
- Familiarity with event-driven programming in Python.
- Understanding of the threading limitations of Python, and multi-process architecture.
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES: This role is posted at both the 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.