"This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided."
Location: Austin, TX or Phoenix, AZ
We are seeking an experienced architect with fluency in open source platforms and several coding languages, who thrives in working in a community model within our team. You will be working side by side with customers to build innovative solutions to solve exciting business problems. A Senior Software Architect is expected to master all the capabilities required of a solutions architect and show expertise with various architectural patterns, technologies and architecture management processes. A Senior Software Architect will mentor new and experienced software developers while contributing to multi-layered solution architectures that comprehend and specify business, application, data and infrastructure designs.
About the GM Manufacturing Team:
GM’s Manufacturing IT team innovates and drives business value with systems that help GM deliver consistent messaging, transactions and services. The Manufacturing IT team is responsible for developing and delivering solutions leveraging a wide array of systems architectures and technical platforms. Our industry leading developers, engineers, testers and architects work closely with internal teams and dealers to deliver the world’s best customer experience. In short, we’re currently seeking the next generation of game-changers to help us usher in a new age of automotive IT innovation. Are you ready to rise to the challenge?
Our Software Development team supports the creation and enhancement of some of the industry’s most innovative and complex systems. This team develops and delivers software solutions to GM Manufacturing business partners. Members of this team include industry-leading developers, architects, and designers who use various innovative development methodologies and technologies to successfully deliver solutions, drive business results, and increase customer satisfaction.
About the role:
The Sr. Software Architect role requires a strong foundation in platform design, development, and implementation. This position requires a self-motivated individual with strong problem-solving skills who can contribute in a highly collaborative culture and Agile team environment. You will need to have technical depth and applied experience in multi-layer solution development, performance tuning, solution debug, incident triage/remediation, and usability improvement. You will need to demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills. You will need to be experienced creating and presenting architecture and technical proposals.
This role understands the value of an elegant software design and the importance of building solutions that matter. Creativity, drive, and initiative are imperative to the success of the Sr. Software Architect.
Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Defining, Documenting, Socialization, and Organizing efforts to drive architecture advancement with our software development community
- Develop scalable software architecture based on detailed business requirements and supported technology architecture.
- Link technology to tangible solutions, with the opportunity to define cloud-native reference architecture
- Actively engage in development activities associated with developing new solutions and refining current solutions.
- Innovate and scale architectural best practices for developing and operating large scale manufacturing engineering software systems
- Engaging in activities associated with project design/execution, architecture review, technology selection, and IT process refinement
- implementation, setting examples for good engineering practices and coding along the way.
- Mentoring & Coaching new and experienced software developers.
- Use technical expertise and a detailed understanding of system capabilities to maximize automation and process effectiveness.
- Provide strong leadership, partnering with other teams to drive organizational adoption of new or changed processes and systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field or related practical experience
- 10+ years of professional experience in software development
- Real-world experience in C#.Net or JAVA and experience building REST services that support high volume transactions in highly available environments
- Experience using Microservices, and containers (Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Docker and Kubernetes)
- Proven track of record of designing and building complex solutions
- Ability to convert business requirements into technical specifications and designs
- Good understanding of database concepts and experience with either SQL or NoSQL solutions. (e.g. SQL, PostGres, MongoDB)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to quickly grasp complex concepts and learn new technologies
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.