This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work remotely but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to live a commutable distance to the innovation center they are selected for. This role requires the employee to work onsite 1-3 times per week. Relocation will be provided as needed.
We’re dedicated to achieving our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, and Zero Congestion. We are looking for people who are passionate about helping us create safer, better, and more sustainable solutions for personal mobility. Our bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open workspaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities
About the Launch and Deploy team at General Motors:
The Launch and Deploy Team is a DevOps team that is responsible for the execution of all application releases in the manufacturing environment, including installation of new instances and IT required configuration. This includes working with the business to provide all configuration needed to support new vehicle and GPS launches.
About the Software Deploy Analyst Role:
The Software Deployment Analyst is responsible for deploying and updating software applications used globally in GM’s manufacturing plants that build the next generation of transportation. Under the mentorship of senior deployment leads, the software deployment analyst will work hands-on building out full-stack application environments based on detailed requirements and system specifications.
Deployment activities will include gathering high-level requirements from manufacturing plant(s), updating existing software installations and/or configuring applications to the specific needs for the plant, and troubleshooting issues that may arise relating to either the new code or plant configuration.
This role will contribute to security lifecycle maintenance by ensuring that all third-party applications and operating systems are compliant with the GM IT statement of technical direction. This role will also work closely with the development teams and support teams to ensure 100% uptime, reliability, and security.
Deployment Analysts will be required to:
- Work closely with IT infrastructure delivery teams to install and configure virtual servers in plant data centers with minimum supervision
- Work closely with IT Project Management to ensure launch and deployment activities are tracking for on-time delivery and, escalating any risks as necessary with minimum supervision
- Identify repeatable deployment actions for automation via scripting or CI/CD pipelines
- Work closely with in-plant IT support to validate application functionality with physical systems
- Provide analysis and site-specific business configuration required to meet launch initiatives
- Coordinate testing with upstream and downstream plant software applications to validate data continuity
- Investigates IT system integration problems and provides technical input in problem resolution
- Have knowledge of software monitoring tools for uptime and performance
- Have knowledge or experience in software development
- Maintain technical documentation to reflect accurate and current production installations
- Hold themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors.
- Models GM behaviors and builds a winning culture
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Learn new technical concepts and practices quickly and apply them across multiple types of applications and software.
- Prospective team members must possess a high degree of business insight, creativity, decision making skills, a drive for results, the ability to negotiate, the ability to develop strong peer relationships, and a strong technical learning capability and focus.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience
- This role will require you to travel to physical plant locations for workshop or deployment activities.
- This role may require you to work during manufacturing plant downtime (weekends, second shift, third shift, holidays).
- +5 years of IT experience
- Proven experience troubleshooting IT issues
- Proven experience in learning new technical concepts and practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to effectively communicate and translate feedback, needs and solutions
- Creative problem-solving skills to issues
- Strong teamwork focus with the ability to foster collaboration within and across teams
- Demonstrated Experience from at least one area:
- Coding: C#/VC++/MFC /Java / Python /ASP.NET/VB.NET/
- Databases: Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, PostgreSQL, or other databases
- Web Application Servers: WebSphere, WebLogic, TomCat, IIS
- Infrastructure: Server Provisioning, Virtual Machines, Networking,
- OS: Linux, UNIX, Windows Server, Cloud technology
- Tools: Team Foundation Server (Azure Dev Ops), IT Service Manager, PowerBI, Jenkins, Chef, GitHub, Fortify, SonarLint/SonarQube, Artifactory
- Experience in IT Enterprise Security concepts and implementation
- 3+ years of hands-on manufacturing experience
- Knowledge of manufacturing tools and technologies (e.g., SCADA, Proficy, Cimplicity, etc.)
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and systems
- Experience using CIMPLICITY software
- Familiarity with programmable logic controllers (PLC) platform is a benefit
- Experience in application containerization
- Experience in IT Enterprise Security concepts and implementation
- Have knowledge of configuring programmable logic controllers (PLCs)
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.