This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided."
In this software development role, you will be responsible for developing software applications using sound, repeatable, industry standard methodologies. You will have the opportunity to work hands-on writing software or solutions, based on detailed requirements and system specifications. Development activities will include updating existing software and/or developing new software solutions to address a specific need or solve a particular business problem. Additionally, you will drive development activities in accordance with appropriate methodologies and application of a repeatable, systematic and quantifiable approach to the development process. You will coach/mentor software developers and will review the software being developed. This role will also work closely with architects to ensure code alignment with design patterns/frameworks.
As an Senior Software Developer within General Motors, you will be part of a team that builds cutting edge products used directly by our vehicles and customers. We use the latest technologies - cloud-based deployment and hosting (PCF), Java and Springboot for RESTful web services, and Angular for our UI development. We are part of an ecosystem of applications hosted by GSMC. Within that framework, we are developing some of the latest CX tools that will help transform GM to a world leader in customer experience.
You will be responsible for leading a development team and ensuring that software is designed and developed using sound, repeatable, industry standard methodologies. Additionally, you will provide oversight to development activities to ensure the highest utilization of resources toward delivery of world-class capabilities aligned with GM corporate and business direction. This position will enable you to advise, coach/mentor development teams and will review the software being developed to insure the highest standards. Part of your goals will be to be excellent in code quality, performance, stability, security and general delivery to requirements and project timing.
For this role you will expected to have demonstrated success in software project delivery experience in leading technical efforts developing applications using a variety of tools, languages, frameworks and technologies. The position is responsible for developing and testing web applications, RESTful APIs using repeatable industry best practices and in accordance with GM's software development project methodology. You will also be expected to work hands-on designing and writing code based on detailed requirements and system specifications.
This role will contribute to all development activities including design, coding, testing, certification, documentation and deployment.
• Full lifecycle application development using standard frameworks and coding standards/patterns
• Coding, unit testing and debugging applications in various software languages
• Performing code reviews
• Defining and enforcing coding standards
• Leading and mentoring junior team members
• Software testing and quality assurance
• Documenting software code and ensuring that technical documentation i.e. configuration guides, install guides meet requirements
• Integrating software with existing systems
• Implementing localization or globalization of software
• Proactively engaging in the remediation of software issues such as code quality, pattern mismatch, and security issues related to the code/configuration
• Automating unit testing of software systems within their domain, focused on software quality and maintainability
• Automating testing processes by developing unit test scripts, as needed
• Understanding and maintaining compliance with GM standards and industry standard methodology
• Holding themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors and modeling GM behaviors and builds a winning culture
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years Java development experience
- 5+ years technical knowledge of Java
- Demonstrated experience in developing APIs and interface contracts is necessary
- Understanding of software development best practices
- Working knowledge of Scrum/Agile software development process
- 5+ years Java development experience
- Experience with Spring and Springboot frameworks
- Experience in UI development
- Experience working in an agile environment
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.