This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided.
For all external applicants, we are targeting a start date on or after January 10th 2022 for this position.
The Senior Software Test Engineer will perform ambiguity reviews of business and software requirements, execute tests, log defects, and report test metrics and test status to the project teams. This role requires a deep experience in software test strategy, creation of test process deliverables, test metric definition and industry standard report definition. You will work closely with management, architects, business analysts, developers and project managers to assist teams through task management for the successful and on time delivery of projects with the highest quality as possible. Assists in maintaining optimal resource utilization across a functional area; calls out constraints and available bandwidth when appropriate. Speaks to the technology stack(s) in their functional space. Manages work across multiple projects. Leads coordination of all testing activities on a project. Analyzes, tests, and certifies application-specific software and performs ambiguity reviews of business requirements and functional specification documents. Logs, tracks, and verifies resolution of requirements and software defects. Mentors junior testers through project-related conflict resolution. Serves as a mentor to less experienced staff. Initiates changes across the team and organization in an effort to improve processes and standards. Holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and builds a winning culture. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge of multiple software development methodologies such as Waterfall, Iterative, and Agile. Advanced knowledge of the different test types needed for a project based on a review of the business and software requirements. Demonstrated & advanced knowledge of test case management using HP ALM or Microsoft TFS (or equivalent test management tool). Advanced experience with compiling, analyzing, and communicating software test metrics and reporting. Advanced ability to drive project teams through software quality engagements. Advanced ability to drive closure on ambiguities found from reviewing business and software requirements.
- A bachelor's degree in a technical discipline such as CS, CIS, or MIS and ~7+ years relevant work experience in software development
- Experience programming using Java, Python and/or .NET.
- Experience with selenium or other software testing technologies
- Experience with automated testing of API’s, user interface, and data validation
- Experience with SQL
- Familiarity with various software technologies, methodologies, and applied software engineering practices/standards such as OOP in an Agile development environment
- Solid foundation in algorithms, data structures, object-oriented programming, and core Computer Science concepts
- Experience with Team Foundation Server/Azure DevOps for requirements management, test management and build/release.
- Strong familiarity with Continuous Integration, Continuous Deployment and Continuous Testing concepts
- Strong verbal & written skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Extensive technical skills through demonstrated roles in software development, test automation and performance engineering
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Demonstrated mastery with tools and languages such as SoapUI, Rest Assured, Selenium, Java SDK, Python and Groovy
- 7+ years of experience as a Software Developer, Software Quality Engineer, or as an SDET (programmatically test the product, measure test coverage, develop the sustainable automation, drive testability and diagnostic ability into the product, while promoting best practices in quality areas)
- Experience with Oracle SQL, MS SQL or PostgreSQL
- Experience with GIT
- Multiple project experiences with extensive DevOps practices in an agile environment
- Software and/or Test Automation Development experience in a CI/CD environment
- 5+ years test automation experience including RESTful APIs/Services, Functional Testing, Performance Testing and Load Testing
- Demonstrated ability to own, design, lead and implement test strategies for complex applications and deployment topologies
- Experience with test strategy and execution of Web, Mobile and Desktop systems
- Can juggle testing of multiple projects with multiple development teams
- Exposure to Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence in Test Automation
- Strong understanding of software testing methodologies and techniques. ISTQB certification a plus.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.