Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 times per week.
Locations: Detroit, MI or Austin, TX, or Atlanta, GA
In this software development role, the primary responsibility is working cross functionally to develop software applications using sound, repeatable, industry standard methodologies. Engaged in hands-on writing of software or solutions, based on detailed requirements and system specifications. Working with teammates on development activities including updating existing software or developing new software solutions to address a specific need or tackle a particular business problem. This position is essential to driving development activities in accordance with appropriate methodologies and application of a repeatable, systematic, and quantifiable approach to the development process. Entrusted with collaborating, mentoring, and guiding less experienced software developers and reviewing the software being developed.
- Being responsible for the software project team and delivery in leading technical efforts developing applications using a variety of tools, languages, frameworks, and technologies
- Performance tuning, usability assessment/improvement
- Purposefully engaging in the identification and remediation of software issues related to code or solutions quality, security, pattern, or frameworks
- Remediation of software issues identified inhibiting usability or end-user related problems, code, solution quality, or security
- Integrate software with existing software and systems
- Automation of unit & end-to-end testing of software systems within their domain, focused on software quality and maintainability
- Maintaining and debugging live software systems
- Provides guidance and mentoring of fellow software developers and other team members
- Technical writing knowledge around system design specification and user documentation of software systems and ensure that user documentation meets GM standards
- Understand and maintain compliance with GM standards and industry standard methodology
- Demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors that model GM winning culture
- Bachelor's degree required (technical field preferred) or equivalent experience
- 7+ years in an application software development
- Experience using Java programming, Spring Boot Framework, and Angular systems
- Experienced within SQL Databases and Queries
- Experience in using math-based or multi feature programming with complexity in software application development
- Experience guiding, mentoring, and coaching less experienced software developers
- Experience leading and facilitating meetings with partners
- Presentation experience to project leads, customers, and leadership
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.