The Connected Customer and Mobility Solutions organization develops, in an Agile/SAFe environment, the technologies enabling a new generation of connected vehicles worldwide. This includes call centers located in multiple countries backed by two world class data centers. Our technology is a key enabler to things like smarter car sharing programs, driver customization opportunities, and advanced active safety systems including autonomous driving. These capabilities exist through the largest implementation of 4G LTE in the automotive industry which enables the capture of extensive amount of vehicle data to our Big Data platform. Our innovation teams are driving game changing technology to the consumer and the automotive industry.
Why Work For CCMS
We do cool stuff! We are passionate about building high quality systems that solve complex problems on an extensive scale. Our team is inclusive, made up of forward-thinking software engineers who enjoy working together to develop innovative software solutions in an environment where new ideas and unique perspectives are embraced. Our business is fast paced and constantly evolving to get provide new features and capabilities to market, while conforming to global regulations. CCMS applications are developed on mobile, web and in-vehicle customer platforms. CCMS leverages private cloud, PCF, J2EE and Big Data backend services, allowing opportunities to work in numerous technologies on applications achieving continuous availability.
Who You Are
In this role, you are responsible for application development and support including story elaboration, estimation, analysis, design, programming, unit/integration testing and code debugging utilizing the Scrum framework. Do you consider yourself to have a high degree of business insight, creativity, drive for results, strong technical curiosity, next-level sociability, and negotiation skills? Apply now! You will be working in a highly collaborative, multi-functional, and Agile environment and will also
- Proficiently build and maintain Android applications that contribute to the connected car feature roadmap.
- Lead and generate technical solutions including specifying of requirements, functional decomposition, analysis, development and testing for current, new and major programs.
- Work with the customers, the product team, the UX experts, the Android platform engineering team, and other stakeholders to design and develop solutions to challenging problems, while leading teams as well as providing guidance to other developers.
- Generate automated test cases based on feature development within applications.
- Be challenged to learn new things, use new technology, understand complex relationships within various systems including the back office, and participate in the design of a best-in-class in-vehicle platform for GM Infotainment systems, as well as in the Infotainment and HMI community design, research and development discussions.
- Follow our software development process where quality comes first and ensure that the designed solutions conform to architectural requirements such as scalability, maintainability, reliability, extensibility, usability and security.
- Provide, communicate, and support common best practices among the software community.
- Collaborate with other architects and architectural organizations to establish unified and intelligent designs, robust interactions, and minimal code footprint required to deliver features.
- Work on new feature development, as well as maintenance of existing features and bug fixes.
- Collaborate with team members in software development activities using the Scrum/Agile/SAFe development process.
- Elaborate, estimate, and design for small increments of work based on sprint planning.
- Swarm around tasks along with other Scrum team members with a commitment to deliver well-defined work
- Pair program with different people in many situations as dictated by sprint planning strategies
- Report status of assigned software development and/or maintenance tasks
- Consistently follow the specified software development methodology
- Build a strong team using their collaboration skills. Interview and mentor team members.
- Provide leadership and assistance among and across scrum teams/organizations and in scrum ceremonies
- Provide clear and complete documentation based on the definition of the software development process.
- Take calculated risks, fail fast, learn from your successes and failure, and apply that to the next problem in the pipeline.
- Do all this in a way that respects teamwork, diversity of opinion, and which maintains GM core values.
- Performs as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for at least one platform or application component.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
What You Need
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Solid software development foundation including competencies in object-oriented methodologies, data structures, algorithms relevant design patterns and software design lifecycle.
- Domain knowledge and solid experience of software development on the Android system and have worked in various components and layers.
- Experience with multi-threaded development on Android platforms.
- Experience with Android UI design (including custom views), in addition to Activities and Fragments.
- Experience writing Android clients for Web Services (REST, RPC, and/or SOAP)
- Firm understanding of Intents, ContentProviders, Services, BroadcastReceivers, Handlers and AIDL.
- Expertise in designing testable software and building large scale, complex Android applications.
- Solid experience in Android middleware and framework development using Android Open Source Project in Java (Applications and Services) and the Native layer.
- Demonstrated experience in multithreading, inter-process communication and synchronization of shared resources.
- Experience using source code control systems such as Git and pull request processes.
- Experience and passion using and managing agile software development processes including SAFe.
- Creative problem solving skills and ability to effectively communicate and translate feedback, needs and solutions.
- Strong work ethic and sense of ownership of end result.
- Demonstrated performance in a position requiring both challenging and engineering technical excellence.
- 5+ years of building automotive grade software.
- Knowledge in many vehicle systems, including Navigation, Voice/Virtual Assistants, Connected Ecosystems, and Telematics.
- Familiarity with toolsets to interact, manipulate, and log on connected vehicles, such as NeoVI tools, DPS tools, ADB, and many others.
- Strong evidence of career performance excellence in position of ever-increasing levels of responsibility and challenge.
- High level of verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively in a geographically dispersed team.
What Would Be Even Better
- Master’s degree in Computer Science.
- Awareness of the Android UI/UX guidelines.
- Mapping and search providers.
- Google APIs (licensing, in-app billing, etc).
- Android Widgets experience.
- Internationalization and Localization.
- Alexa and Google assistant Skill/Action development.
- Familiarity with CI/CD and DevOps pipelines.
- A demonstrated track record of being a change agent, leaving every team and process better than you found it.
- Previous experience designing complex technical solutions for connected vehicle ecosystems on Android software platforms is a plus.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.