General Motors has openings for qualified Skilled Support Operators (SSO) responsible for performing tasks in a team environment that supports the organization’s goal of providing world class quality-built vehicles for GM customers.
- Follow established safety procedures according to OSHA standards and company procedures
- Follow standardized work procedures to perform bench, floor, assembly, or basic machine operation in support of the vehicle build process.
- Follow work orders and interpret build documentation.
- Use power tools and other equipment (e.g. assist devices, hoists, cranes, weld guns)
- Wear personal protection equipment (e.g., safety glasses, mask, cut resistant sleeves & gloves).
- Adhere to the principles of the GMS-Global Manufacturing System. “The Global Manufacturing System is a single, common manufacturing system that engages all employees to use best processes, practices, and technologies to eliminate waste throughout the enterprise.”
- Complete tasks under the direction of a Metal Model Maker Journeyperson that may include:
- Measurement, layout, crating / banding, stamping machine, detail preparation, flex arm operation, drill press operation, band saw, bridgeport, deburring and hand grinder operation, stoning, polishing, drill / tap / ream, operation, basic tool and die assembly, die jack operation, fork truck and overhead crane operation, shipping and receiving / loading and unloading, basic process equipment maintenance, reconditioning of die steel, view / mark-up operation.
These new opportunities are available as a result of a project which could be extended up to a year or longer, pending business needs.
Interested individuals must meet the following minimum qualifications:
- Must be able to satisfactorily complete the General Motors hiring process requirements which includes a comprehensive assessment, hair drug testing, and a background check.
- At least 18 years of age
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Candidates must be willing to work flexible shift hours and day, afternoon, or night shift as well as overtime hours daily, weekend and holidays on those shifts with little notice.
General Motors UAW hourly employment offers a very competitive compensation and benefit package. An annual incentive payout is also available, as qualified.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.