Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired.
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES: This role is posted at both the 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility
About the GM Motorsports IT team:
Want to be involved at the highest levels of competitive racing? Help ensure GM brands are performing at highly visible public events? Come join GM Motorsports IT to be part of delivery of break-through technologies for NASCAR's Cup, Xfinity, and Truck series. Help our team expand technology capabilities for Corvette and Cadillac as part of competition in the IMSA series. Revel in victory lane with our IndyCar teams! GM’s Motorsports IT team will analyze, define, and deliver the next generation of cutting-edge Motorsports IT software solutions. Leveraging both state of the art cloud based infrastructure and software development standards, these solutions will enable innovative interactions between GM Global Engineering, GM Motorsports, and our Chevy and Cadillac Race Teams that accelerate our drivers to the finish line first!
About the role:
In this Senior Software Developer role, you will be responsible for developing software applications using sound, repeatable, industry standard methodologies. You will have the opportunity to work hands-on writing software or solutions, based on race team requirements. Development activities will include enhancing existing software and/or developing new software solutions to address a specific need or solve a particular business problem. Additionally, you will drive development activities in accordance with appropriate methodologies and application of a repeatable, systematic and quantifiable approach to the development process. You will coach/mentor software developers and will review the software being developed. This role will also work closely with race teams and architects to ensure appropriate system development, meeting business and technical requirements.
- Full lifecycle application development using standard frameworks and coding standards/patterns
- Demonstrate mastery of many programming languages, tools and/or technologies
- Performance tuning, usability assessment/improvement
- Engage in the identification / remediation of software issues related to code or solutions quality, security, and/or pattern/frameworks and software usability or end user related issues
- Integrate software with existing software/systems
- Strong Knowledge of maintaining and debugging live software systems
- Engage in the remediation of software issues related to code/solutions quality and/or security
- Provide guidance and mentoring of fellow software developers and other team members
- Possess technical writing knowledge around system design specification and user documentation of software systems and ensure that technical documentation meets GM standards
- Understand and maintain compliance with GM standards and industry standard methodology
- Hold themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors
- Model GM behaviors and build a winning culture
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design, data structures and algorithm design, and complexity analysis
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience developing applications using at least one of the following technologies - C#, .NET, ReactJS, Angular, Java, Python
- Experience with SQL or NoSQL databases like Cassandra
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development lifecycle
- Experience working with modern open-source tools for distributed computing (like Apache Spark, Hadoop, Apache Pulsar, Kafka, Redis, HDFS, ECS S3 etc.)
- Full Stack development experience: front end development environments to back end systems
- Leader in coding standards, code reviews, source control, build process, testing, and operations
- Experience in developing large-scale integration and API solutions
- Experience working in an agile environment
Nice to Have:
- Knowledge of Kubernetes, Docker, RabbitMQ, and MS Azure
- Exposure to actor-based programming frameworks like Akka
- Previous IT experience with Motorsport Racing history/background a plus!
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.