Note, this position is:
Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-3 times per week.
For all external applicants, we are targeting a start date on or after January 10th 2020 for this position.
For this developer role within General Motors, you are responsible for developing software applications using sound, repeatable, industry standard methodologies. You will work hands-on writing software or solutions, based on detailed requirements and system specifications. Additionally, you will work with development activities will include:
Updating existing software and/or developing new software solutions to address a specific need or solve a particular business problem. You will contribute to all development activities in accordance with appropriate methodologies and application of a repeatable, systematic and quantifiable approach to the development process. You will developer your skill further by working closely with more senior developers to ensure code alignment with design patterns/frameworks.
You will need to have proven experience in the following:
- Full lifecycle application development using standard design patterns/frameworks
- Must have experience as part of a software project delivery effort
- Demonstrate mastery of several programming languages, tools and/or technologies
- Assists with Performance tuning, usability assessment/improvement
- Proactively engage in the identification / remediation of software issues such as code quality, pattern mismatch, and security issues related to the code or solution/configuration
- Integrate software with existing software/systems
- Knowledge of Software testing, quality assurance and solutions testing including automation
- Knowledge of maintaining and debugging live software applications
- Work closely with senior developers, software engineers and/or data scientist to gain additional knowledge and expertise.
- Document software solutions and ensure that technical documentation meets GM standards
- Understand and maintain compliance with GM standards and industry standard methodology
- Holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors.
- Models GM behaviors and crafts a winning culture.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 3+ years of professional software development experience
- Knowledge of developing applications using C#, .NET, ReactJS, Spring, Postgres and SQL
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development lifecycle
- Full Stack development experience: front end development environments to back end systems
- Working knowledge of coding standards, code reviews, source control, build process, testing, and operations
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Knowledge with Terraform and YAML
- Knowledge of Kubernetes
- Previous IT experience with Motorsport Racing history/background a plus!
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.