This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work remotely but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to live a commutable distance to the innovation center they are selected for. This role requires the employee to work onsite 1-3 times per week. Relocation will be provided as needed.
We’re dedicated to achieving our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, and Zero Congestion. We are looking for people who are passionate about helping us build safer, better, and more sustainable solutions for personal mobility. Our bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to redefining how we move today and in the future.
About the Senior Software Development Role
This role is responsible for leading and management of one or more software development teams. Ensuring that software is designed and developed using sound, repeatable, best practices, and GM’s software development project methodology. To guarantee excellence code quality, performance, stability, security and overall alignment and compliance with project objectives.
- Project administration and record-keeping within cross function collaboration with other development teams and/or support functions
- Career development coaching and mentoring activities for team members and direct reports.
- Project scheduling and time management
- Responsible for the delegation and coordination of development activities across each team to ensure high utilization of resources while delivering outstanding software across many platforms.
- Leads a team through building diverse teams, presenting, training and development, directing and prioritization of work, evaluating performance, providing mentorship and coaching to remove roadblocks.
- Handles the culture within their team, holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and builds a winning culture.
Requirements for the role:
- Must have at least 7-10 years of management experience and be comfortable leading highly technical teams through the software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Must have broad software project delivery experience in leading teams developing applications using a variety of tools, languages, frameworks and technologies.
- Must have experience crafting strategic direction for groups of applications, including performance tuning, usability assessment & improvement, automation technologies
- Proficient within Java or .Net development experience
- Understands security risks for applications, Pand code remediation techniques, code quality analysis results
- Experience in crafting a CI/CD based culture and in manufacturing or supply chain
- Detailed knowledge of maintaining and debugging live software systems
- Providing advice, training and technical support for various projects within their domain
- Provides career guidance and mentoring of team members and junior management
- Ability to handle issue resolution and remove roadblocks by navigating corporate environments and processes
- Possess technical writing knowledge around system design specification and user documentation of software systems
- 3 years of leading MES development organizations
- Experience working with plant floor devices and communications
- Knowledgeable in ISA-95 standards and terminologies
- Experience with Pre-Production Operations a plus.
Models GM behaviors and creates a winning culture.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.