This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided
For External Candidates we are targeting a start date on or after January 10th, 2022 for this position
Are you looking to be a part of a hardworking, passionate team that values innovation, creativity, and speed?
There has never been a better time to work for General Motors!
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a nearly completely outsourced IT function. Today GM IT is a dynamic and fast paced organization that designs, develops and maintains all IT infrastructure, applications and solutions enabling GM’s global operations. From designing and building the next generation of electric and other vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet. Our team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in cutting-edge technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, vehicle engineering and real-time computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed, and business value.
About the Global Digital Electric Vehicle Commerce (DEV IT) team at General Motors -
DEV IT is responsible for leading a dynamic and fast paced transformation that enables GM’s Electric Vehicles Retail Sales Model and introduces brand new innovations at General Motors. From designing and building the next generation systems to developing a world-class GM experience for our customers, we are driving real change in an iconic automaker that's highly invested in building a new future. Our team delivers world class technologies for online commerce, customer engagement, vehicle customization, inventory optimizations, payments and mobility to help the company pave the path to a new future
About the Software Development Manager role -
As a Software Development Manager, you will be leading and delivering new and innovative software solutions that are well-designed and scalable with high quality customer experience. You will ensure that software is designed and developed using sound, repeatable and industry standard methodologies; including but not limited to standards in code quality, performance, stability, security and overall alignment and compliance with project objectives.
This role is expected to be proficient in:
- Technologies across software, test automation, build, deployment and operational processes
- Leading top technical talent from new college hires to very senior software engineers
- Delivering world class systems across many markets and customer demographics
- Developing a culture of learning and growth mindset with a highly inclusive management style
- Taking strategic ambiguities and turning them into actionable plans that the teams can execute to
- Critical thinking and possesses the managerial courage to take calculated risks and define creative solutions for problems that arise
- Injecting new technologies, looking ahead and building future-proof solutions
- Working across multi-functional teams, be comfortable working in a matrixed organization and aligning diverse stakeholders
Additional Job Description
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related experience
- 10+ years of developing cutting-edge, enterprise applications
- 3+ years of leading teams of 10 or more people
- Experience with stakeholder alignment, communicating and presenting to senior executives
- Experience with planning, organizing, and leading multiple scrum teams
- Demonstrated portfolio and resource planning and delivering within scope and budget
- Very strong project management skills and experience
- Facilitated high level of team engagement across diverse functional areas
- Demonstrated experience in putting into practice highly purposeful software development methodologies (i.e. Lean Startup, Agile, Scrum etc.)
- Experienced in building a culture of automation in testing, CI/CD and DevOps practices with end-to-end application ownership from conceptualization to development to testing and support
- 5+ years of managing multiple engineering teams
- Expertise in driving large programs across multiple stakeholders simultaneously
- Recruiting and hiring top talent
- Expertise with Docker, Apache Kafka, Pulsar, and Elasticsearch
- Strategic planning, roadmap creation and project plans to look ahead and deliver world class software
- Expertise in Security standards, Payment services, Social Media integrations and emerging Mobile application stacks
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.