This is a Hybrid position within our Engineering organization. The role will allow employees to work remotely, but may also require onsite work based on business needs. Relocation will be provided as needed.
The Software Defined Vehicle team supports the definition, design, and development of continuously improving mobility services. SDV is new vehicle intelligence platform that will underpin all our future innovations across a wide range of technological advancements, including EVs and expanded automated driving. This means that you can potentially put a fingerprint on the vehicles that drive down the road! This space is ripe with technical leadership opportunities for sophisticated technology development, as well as the ability to provide mentorship for new employees. You can flex your collaboration muscles as you will be tasked with working with several other areas of engineering, IT, and the business.
About the Team:
The Automated Driving, Active Safety (ADAS) Mapping Software team develops and delivers mapping software solutions using artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) techniques to support GM's automated, hands free driving solutions for North America and beyond. We tackle the many challenges of map topology, scalability, real-time performance, verification and safety. The team is part of an Agile Release Train in the SAFe© framework.
- Guide and prioritize the development and release of software for maps and deliver high quality, production level code for ADAS features
- Collaborate with internal partners to understand and ensure that the software meets our customers' requirements and scheduled landmarks
- Triage, develop, demonstrate, test and release software for high impact projects that deliver on GM’s vision of Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, Zero Congestion
- Ensure a high standard of quality and coding of software components that make up complex systems enabling self-driving vehicles and a variety of other ML and data analytics efforts
- Collaborate with senior software engineers, architects, development leads and managers while contributing to multi-layered solution architectures that comprehend and specify business, application, data, and infrastructure designs
- Interact with large data sets and machine learning frameworks
- 2 - 4 years developing innovative enterprise applications
- Demonstrated knowledge in software programming languages (Python, Java, web development, Angular, C, C++ and C#)
- Demonstrated knowledge of database modeling and data structure principles, techniques and standard methodologies
- Demonstrated knowledge in building, debugging and maintaining mission critical enterprise applications
- 2 to 4+ years working in automotive production environment of SAFe© Agile Release Train or Agile Scrum
- Experience developing unit tests
- Experience in object-oriented software development, algorithms, and data structures, design patterns
- Experience working with large code bases, developing entirely new code and maintaining existing code, within a CI/CD environment, over multiple model years
- Experience providing technical guidance to team members
- Ability to investigate issues based on limited information. Demonstrated high level of analytical ability to resolve sophisticated problems
- Creative, well-adapted sense of responsibility
- Strong leadership and interpersonal communication skills, ability to collaborate effectively with team members locally and remotely, and with customers under pressure
- Must be legally allowed to work in the US
Minimum Education Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software, Electrical or Computer Engineering
- Advanced degrees preferred
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Understanding of major automotive vehicle systems such as Advanced Driver-Assistance (ADAS)
- Exposure to sensors or embedded devices – eg. cameras, radars, LiDARs
- Experience with Machine/Deep Learning algorithms
- Experience with Data Visualization and Business Intelligence tools (e.g. HUE, Jupyter, PowerBI)
- Exposure to GPU computing
- Experience with SAFe methodologies
- Demonstrated knowledge in multiple software development disciplines (i.e. Agile, Scrum, SDLC)
- Big Data and related knowledge/experience
- Enterprise level software experience in a software engineer role
- Experience with GIS software development
- Experience with simulation and automation
- Big Data and related knowledge/experience (HDFS, Cassandra, Apache Storm, Spark, Elastic)
FOR GM INTERNAL CANDIDATES: This role is posted at both the 6th and 7th level. The determination by HR and the Hiring Manager as to whether an offer will be lateral or promotional will be based on a candidate’s relevant experience and whether the role will amount to a significant increase in level of responsibility.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.