What Is GM's Infotainment & Connectivity All About?
The Infotainment & Connectivity organization develops the technologies enabling a new generation of groundbreaking connected vehicles worldwide. We place our customers at the center of everything we do, by creating vehicles that move humanity toward GM’s vision. The capabilities of our infotainment systems are the key link between the vehicle and it’s occupants.
- Advancing the sophistication of vehicle infotainment systems in both functionality and design.
- Developing appealing intuitive systems in an Agile/SAFe environment.
- Wowing the customer visually & audibly by augmenting driver awareness, improving occupant safety, and elevating the traveler experience.
- Using digital data to enable smarter car sharing programs and provide secure over-the-air offerings.
Why Join GM's Infotainment & Connectivity Team?
We are revolutionizing the vehicle driving experience! Our inclusive team is made up of forward-thinking Engineers who develop innovative hardware and software solutions where new insights are embraced. Our connected vehicles are the new frontier, and the race is on to deliver engaging, meaningful infotainment and in-vehicle experiences.
- Providing secure connectivity that bridges the vehicle with the rest of the world.
- Designing the hardware electronics and communication protocols that enable the features and services generated by our groundbreaking Ultify platform.
- Bringing studio designs visions to life by leading the development of the vehicle’s customer facing components; from the interactive displays to virtual controls to media content enjoyed in the cockpit of car.
- Developing software that connects the technology provided by phone and media providers allowing vehicle owners to bring their digital ecosystem with them and providing the next generation in-vehicle experience.
About the Developer Role:
This role requires a strong foundation in software development, data structures, databases and integration. The developer will work with a team of experienced developers, technical leads, architects, and quality assurance engineers to ensure that designs and quality are meeting GM requirements. They will also be working closely with other members of the Agile Release Train (ART) to achieve the goals and objectives set forth by the Product Manager and Product Owner. The developer will participate in the scrum ceremonies as well as take part in deployment & DevOps activities. The developer should understand the value of elegant and maintainable software design, and the importance of building solutions that matter. The ideal candidate for this role will possess a passion for technology and a desire to enhance our safety related applications while maintaining their continuous availability.
Our Developers should be able to:
- Estimate and design work that is just-in-time and sized in small increments
- Consistently follow the specified software development methodology
- Perform root cause analysis and solve problems
- Perform technology evaluations, and implement prototypes
- Quickly design, develop, and deliver new software in regular increments
- Report status of assigned software development and/or maintenance tasks
- Promote improvements in SW development practices such as TDD
- Bachelor's degree in computer science/engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience
- 5+ years of software development utilizing industry standard design patterns in common languages such as Java. Demonstrated experience with test-driven development techniques (TDD, Junit, mocks).
- 5+ years’ experience delivering Java / JEE Business Solutions
- 5+ years’ experience of the full software development lifecycle (SDLC)
- Familiarity with multiple interface patterns including RESTful APIs or event-based messaging
- Familiarity with Team Foundation Server, Jenkins, Artifactory, and similar systems.
- Applied experience with Unix/Linux shell scripting
- Applied experience with iterative and incremental development on product-focused teams practicing code reviews
- Knowledge of version control systems (Git, Bitbucket) and supporting processes (Agile backlogs and Kanban)
- Competency writing basic SQL queries.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to effectively communicate and translate feedback, needs and solutions
- Strong teamwork focus and the ability to foster collaboration within and across teams
- Ability to clearly connect with peers, as well as both business and technical focused teams
- Ability to learn and utilize new technologies
- Experience developing 12-factor microservices while utilizing Continuous Integration, Build, and Delivery w/Spring, Spring Boot
- Experience utilizing platform and infrastructure-as-a-service technologies and capabilities and their corresponding services (object store, configuration management, service registries, etc.). Pivotal Cloud Foundry experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with Big Data technologies and developing in Hadoop ecosystem, i.e. Hadoop, Hbase, Hive, Scala, SPARK, Sqoop, Flume, Kafka, Python
- Experience with the ELK stack and dashboarding within Kibana
- Experience supporting production applications (end user, customer, or business stakeholder visible)
- Experience with Oracle and/or Postgres experience a plus.
- Experience with NoSQL with Cassandra a plus.
- Experience building and maintaining highly automated CI and CD pipelines leveraging technologies such as Azure DevOps Server (formerly TFS), Jenkins, Maven, Artifactory, Black Duck, Chef, SonarQube a plus
- Experience in designing and implementing container technologies like Docker, Kubernetes and Helm a plus
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.