“Some openings may be remote positions where the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.”
VMEC, Vehicle Motion Embedded Controls, is a production level group that supports the definition, design and development of continuously improving software for control strategies, diagnostics, and controller communication. This means that you can potentially put a fingerprint on the vehicles that drive down the road! This space is ripe with technical leadership opportunities for advanced technology development, as well as the ability to provide mentorship for new employees. You can flex your teamwork muscles as you will be tasked with working with several other areas of engineering and the business.
As a Software Engineer in VMEC, your responsibilities include the implementation of engine, transmission, chassis and/or electrification software requirements, software design execution, and unit testing of embedded controller applications for current and new vehicle programs. We particularly focus on implementing Physics and Controls requirements into production software and testing to verify the software is meeting the specified requirements. This includes the following:
- Supply common solutions across all GM In-House controllers
- Document requirements for design solutions and link them to test cases that can demonstrate software functionality
- Utilize automated test tools in build environments, benches, and vehicles to verify functionality at the Function, Controller and System level
- Coordinate and collaborate with departments outside engineering, such as Systems & Safety Engineering, Electrical Architecture, Calibration and Vehicle Performance
Minimum Required Skills and Experience:
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science
- Minimum 2+ years of experience with proven technical and professional skills in job-related area required
- Proficient in C, C++ programming
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills to effectively collaborate with varying levels of the organization as needed
- Emerging partnership and teamwork skills and ability to learn from and share knowledge with co-workers in a fast-paced environment
- High level of integrity, ability to deal with ambiguity, take initiative/self-directed
- Evidence of strong character with integrity, honesty, accountability and trust
- Consistent demonstration of innovative thinking that is customer-centric
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- MS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science
- Experience with Simulink Modeling and Auto Code Generation
- Experience with IBM Rational Team Concert and Scaled Agile Framework
- Experience with bootloader, embedded OS, controller communication, or diagnostics
- Knowledge of AUTOSAR standards and methodology
- Knowledge and experience with CAN, LIN, or Ethernet communications protocol
Compensation : This position may be filled with a mid-career or senior level professional. The mid-range salary / compensation for both roles are as follows:
- Mid-Career Professional – Mid-range salary is $88,667
- Senior Career Professional – Mid-range salary is $109,283
Bonus Potential : An incentive pay program offers payouts based on company performance, job level, and individual performance.
Benefits: GM offers a variety of health and wellbeing benefit programs. Benefit options include medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement savings plan, sickness and accident benefits, life insurance, paid vacation & holidays, tuition assistance programs, employee assistance program, GM vehicle discounts and more.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.