This is a Hybrid position within our IT Organization. The role will allow employees to work offsite but will also require onsite work based on business needs. The selected candidate will be expected to commute to the innovation center to which they are assigned as their primary GM facility. Relocation may be provided.
For all external applicants, we are targeting a start date on or after January 10th, 2022 for this position.
Software Test Engineer ensures applications meet GM IT standards for functional, system, quality, security, performance, and architecture requirements. Ability to drive intermediate level of test planning, execution, and quality reporting of software applications through project engagements and sustaining software test activities. This includes the creation of manual and automated test cases and test execution plans. Organizes and executes test activities to ensure applications meet GM IT standards for quality, security, performance, and architecture requirements.
The Software Test Engineer will perform ambiguity reviews of business and software requirements, execute tests, log defects, and report test metrics and test status to the project teams. This role requires a deep experience in software test strategy, creation of test process deliverables, test metric definition and industry standard report definition. Works closely with architects, business analysts, developers and project managers to assist teams through task management for the successful and on time delivery of projects with highest quality as possible. May lead projects. Interacts with managers, leads and peers to share information and clarify instructions. Builds test plans using standard templates defined by the organization. Works with more experienced test leads to assist in test strategy and process improvements. Builds manual test cases and automated test scripts. Logs, tracks and verifies resolutions of requirements and software defects. Review test plans written by others and provide feedback/assistance. Ability to manage work across multiple projects and ability to lead all testing activities on a project. Holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors. Models GM behaviors and builds a winning culture. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Evaluates and produces test and project metrics. Speaks to what is blocking testing. Speaks to where there are the most issues. Creates Test Execution plans. Categorizes and manages test suites. Innovates the testing process using tools, techniques, process tweaks. Analyzes and reviews business and system requirements. Derives and produces test estimates. Executes manual and automated tests. Tracks progress to plan. Logs defects. Conducts defect triage. Becomes an SME of the system and business process domain.
- Works closely with business analysts, developers, architects, and project managers for the successful and on time delivery of projects with highest quality.
- Interacts with managers, leads and peers to share information and clarify instructions.
- Ability to manage work across multiple projects and ability to lead all testing activities on a project.
- Builds test plans using standard templates defined by the organization.
- Works with more experienced test leads to assist in test strategy and process improvements.
- Builds and executes manual test cases and automated test scripts.
- Logs defects and conducts defect triage. Tracks, and validates resolution of requirements and software defects.
- Review test plans and test cases written by others and provide feedback/assistance.
- Evaluates and produces test and project metrics.
- Tracks progress to plan.
- Creates Test Execution plans.
- Categorizes and manages test suites.
- Speaks to what is blocking testing.
- Speaks to where there are most issues.
- Innovates the testing process using tools, techniques, and process tweaks.
- Analyzes and reviews business and system requirements.
- Becomes an SME of the system and business process domain.
- Derives and produces test estimates.
- Build and cultivate relationships with development and business facing teams. Interact and collaborate with many teams multi-functionally.
- Holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors.
- Models GM behaviors and builds a winning culture.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related technical field.
- 5+ years’ experience in Software Testing across the entire test lifecycle.
- Working knowledge of test methodologies and process implementation experience
- Experience in test automation development, CI/CD tools, practices, and methodologies
- Innovative and strategic thinking to act and create positive change
- Must demonstrate exceptional communication and leadership skills
- Experience with driving a test automation strategy (bonus)
- Java or .Net programming experience (bonus)
- Experience with Microsoft Azure DevOps / TFS
- Automated Testing (Selenium)
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.