Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be onsite full-time to perform most effectively. The employee’s role enables them to work at a GM facility or off-site as frequently as needed or desired
The Software Defined Vehicle (SDV) team supports the definition, design, and development of continuously improving mobility services. SDV is a new vehicle intelligence platform that will underpin all our future innovations across a wide range of technological advancements, including EVs and expanded automated driving. This space is ripe with technical leadership opportunities for advanced technology development, as well as the ability to provide mentorship for new employees. You can flex your teamwork muscles as you will be tasked with working with several other areas of engineering, IT, and the business.
We are building a new Ultifi Feedback Loop (UFL) capability software team which is tasked with the development of data feedback solutions that will integrate vehicle with different Ultifi Devices. Ultifi Feedback Loop (UFL) is a platform approach to:
Pushing/pulling data from vehicles in a configurable way through a vehicle app (or embedded code), Providing common methods for apps/services to detect problems via machine learning models or heuristics, and Enabling vehicles to self-heal by configuring the UFL to call services that mitigate for certain conditions
We are looking for someone who can lead, inspire and continue to build GM’s team of talented and engaged Software professionals to develop, document, and support our next generation infotainment products and tools while meeting cost, schedule, and technical requirements, as well as department and company goals in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment. Responsibilities include but not limited to the following.
- Personally, and through delegates: define, scope, plan and manage development of software while accommodating design and schedule flexibility.
- Manage and refine a SW development process capable of supporting multiple development locations and both internal and external resources
- Ensure accurate and current plans, schedules, and development plans are established, updated, and maintained for department work and operations
- Anticipate technical, schedule and risks then implement mitigation actions to minimize impact.
- Hire, mentor, develop, and retain a competent and engaged software engineering staff to meet personal, professional, and corporate objectives.
- Lead/Participate end to end SW delivery including hardware bring-ups, GM solution integration, feature integration, and various upgrades.
- Responsible define and meet the quality goals for each deliverable.
- Develop employee tailored work assignments that are challenging and result in on-time completion of team deliverables
- Collaborate and direct software designs and development work to align with overall project objectives and timing
- Follow GM software development process where quality comes first and ensure that the designed solutions conform to architectural requirements such as scalability, maintainability, reliability, extensibility, usability and security.
- Foster and maintain a positive and collaborative work environment to motivate staff while driving process improvement and innovative solutions
- Identifying and removing obstacles that prevent staff from accomplishing goals.
- Ensuring staff has the proper equipment, tools, training, and resources to accomplish assigned tasks within defined processes and procedures, while adhering to appropriate budgets
- Understanding department capacity and capabilities, develop metrics and reporting mechanisms to manage organizational performance
- Identify longer-term staffing/technical skill needs and work collaboratively with leadership to plan staffing levels in line with needs
- Ensure efforts undertaken in Software Engineering are necessary and sufficient to meet the associated objectives
- Ensure domain teams’ capability to overcome technical challenges and create and nurturing long term plan and opportunities for team members grow up on each technical domains
- Evaluate / Review design and implementation proposal then make decisions by identical challenges and risk control (technically and schedule)
- Design and implement features in vehicle communications, vehicle integration, vehicle Data collection, Vehicle security, vehicle Telemetry, v2X, carrier communications, Big Data, IOT.
- 15+ years of experience in an automotive or product development organization that includes:
- 7-10 years of experience developing or leading development of complex, real time, Distributed or embedded software in an object-oriented environment.
- 5-8 years of experience successfully managing a software engineering development organization.
- Solid experience of taking part in process definition, and institutionalization within team. In depth experience with Scrum/Agile software development process.
- Bachelor’s Degree in software engineering, computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering
- Extensive experience on system integration:
- SW Integration on complex system crossing multiple OS delivered by multiple teams and suppliers.
- Hardware bring up with good knowledge on boot loaders, kernel, hardware configurations and OS.
- Quality control of integration including managing verification, identifying critical issues and leading conflict and problem resolving crossing teams.
- Development experience (application or framework) based on Java/J2EE/Micro services/SOA/EventBased Architecture with Big Data is required
- Experience with hosting applications in cloud platforms.
- Significant experience in all aspects of the development process, from up front requirement analysis, systems design experience to backend integration.
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills and Proven, key leadership traits and skills
- Ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Development experience on multi-disciplinary teams in the infotainment, consumer electronics, or related software industries.
- A passion for innovation and raising the bar in teams, technology, and projects.
- Strong security experience in Android or QNX related to certificates, key management, secure boot and security policy enablement.
- Experience and expertise in Android native and Java framework, especially around application framework and/or multimedia/graphics stack troubleshooting
- Operating systems experience with one or more of the following: QNX, Linux, Android.
- Demonstrated understanding of a wide range of software technologies, including rendering, simulation, relational database, web, mobile, and user interface development.
- Experience in:
- System performance profiling and optimization across Linux, Android and RTOS systems
- Scripting languages such as shell and Python
- In depth experience with Scrum/Agile software development process and SCM tools like Git, Gerrit, OpenGrok
- Master’s degree in a related technical field
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related field
- Knowledge of vehicle CAN based communication and use of CAN tools - CaNoE, Vehicle Spy
- Experience with edge, cloud, IoT technologies, operating systems, OS internals, OS design, virtualization technologies, containerization/container development
- Knowledge of data science, data analytic tools, machine learning, artificial intelligence (AI)
- Knowledge of AUTOSAR standards and methodology
- Knowledge and experience with CAN, LIN or Ethernet communications protocol
- Working knowledge of Scrum/Agile software development process
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skill
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com or call us at 800-865-7580. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.