“For all external applicants, we are targeting a start date on or after January 10th 2022 for this position.”
In recent years, GM Information Technology has successfully executed the largest IT transformation in the history of the automotive industry, fully insourcing what once was a nearly completely outsourced IT function. Today GM IT is a dynamic and fast paced organization that designs, develops and maintains all IT infrastructure, applications and solutions enabling GM’s global operations. From designing and building the next generation of electric and other vehicles to developing a world-class GM experience for our dealers and customers, GM IT is driving real change in the most iconic automaker on the planet. Our team delivers unique enterprise-wide IT solutions in cutting-edge technologies such as mobility, telematics, mission-critical business systems, supercomputing, cloud, vehicle engineering and real-time computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to advance their careers and be a part of an IT organization focused on innovation, speed and business value.
About the Job:
This position on the CCA IT Development team will support a major project on the service side of CCA. You will be working to roll out the new the global application that is used to run diagnostics and program GM vehicles worldwide. The Software Developer for Mobility should have a strong eye for Usability especially within Mobile Form Factors. This role will involve a great deal of creativity and initiative.
The Senior Software Developer is responsible for developing and testing mobile applications using repeatable industry best practices and in accordance with GM's software development project methodology. The Senior Software Developer will work hands-on designing and writing code based on detailed requirements and system specifications. Developers will specialize in mobile development software packaging and coding languages. Development activities will include updating existing software and/or developing new mobile applications to address a specific customer need or to solve a particular business problem. This role will contribute to all development activities including design, coding, testing, certification, documentation and deployment.
- Leading teams developing applications using a variety of tools, languages, frameworks and technologies
- Leading concurrent projects and/or initiatives within GM
- Full lifecycle application development using standard frameworks and coding standards/patterns
- Coding, unit testing and debugging applications in various software languages
- Software testing and quality assurance
- Performance tuning, improvement, balancing, usability, automation
- Document software code and ensure that technical documentation i.e. configuration guides, install guides meet requirements
- Integrates software with existing systems
- Proactively engages in the remediation of software issues such as code quality, pattern mismatch, and security issues related to the code/configuration
- Understands security risks for applications and code remediation techniques
- Implements localization or globalization of software
- Automates testing processes by developing unit test scripts, as needed
- Leads the culture within their team, holds themselves and others accountable for demonstrating GMs values and cultural behaviors
- Provides career guidance and mentoring of software developers
- Assures that team adheres to all GM Resource Requirements such as Timekeeping, Project Management and Training
- Assists with identifying/selecting the best talent
- Responsible for directing work, managing performance and providing guidance / coaching to team members
- Models GM behaviors and creates a winning culture
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or, equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience
- 8+ years of Software Development experience
- Excellent programming and debugging skills
- Experience with J2EE, SpringBoot, Spring
- Experience in C++ (Windows C – Preferred)
- Experience with scripting languages such as shell, Python
- Working knowledge of Scrum/Agile software development process
- In depth experience with CICD, tools such Azure DevOps
- Database experience with a Relational Database Management Systems (Postgres, SQL, Oracle, or similar)
- Modern development patterns and platforms (Microservices, Web Services (REST), Containers, Cloud Native)
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.
Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day – individually and collectively – to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.